All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attempt to fix my Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
PostPosted: March 7th, 2020, 12:06 

Some time ago I bougt usb external backup disk with 2x ST3000DM001 3TB. I had them in my NAS for couple years but after some time I started to get info about bad sectors. One drive had gone from the system and second was working without problem. I took them out and didnt use them for around a year. Yestarday I copy data from one drive and started with second one. Unfortunately he didnt want to work - problem is the same like on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBWlNtubnA - it spins up, move head couple times and stops. I swaped bios from first working hdd to check is it going to work but it is still the same ( connected by usb hdd case or directly by sata to pc)- spins and stops. What should I do to make it work? Should I swap also the head or some other part? I'm curious if I can recover data some home way (I won't need them anyway and I don't even know what is on that broken hdd)

Post subject: Re: Attempt to fix my Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 11:08 

You did wrong

The ST3000DMxxx acts like you say when heads are bad

More in general, when Seagate drives do click and stops , heads are bad

Except some particular rare cases
when a Seagate drive makes repeating sounds after spinup , its heads are bad

What is worse is that Seagate drives made after 2011 , when issues begin, go worse and worse in few spinup attempts

Post subject: Re: Attempt to fix my Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 15:28 

ruffpl wrote:
Some time ago I bougt usb external backup disk with 2x ST3000DM001 3TB. I had them in my NAS for couple years but after some time I started to get info about bad sectors. One drive had gone from the system and second was working without problem. I took them out and didnt use them for around a year. Yestarday I copy data from one drive and started with second one. Unfortunately he didnt want to work - problem is the same like on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBWlNtubnA - it spins up, move head couple times and stops. I swaped bios from first working hdd to check is it going to work but it is still the same ( connected by usb hdd case or directly by sata to pc)- spins and stops. What should I do to make it work? Should I swap also the head or some other part? I'm curious if I can recover data some home way (I won't need them anyway and I don't even know what is on that broken hdd)

In short drive heads are gone, if there is critical data that you want, must consult a DR Pro.
These DM series drives as already mentioned are really bad drives.