Post subject: WD : repair hdd after using wrong charger on external case
PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 13:27 

Hi,

HDD informations :
Brand: WD
Type: WD10EARX-00N0YB0
PCB : 2060-771698-004 REV A
PCB sticker: 2061-771698-904 AB

I had two external HDD cases with the "same" charger, but what I didn't expected is that the polarity was inverted ( + pin in the middle for one, - pin in the middle for the other ).
I've only seen my error after a few minutes and discover that the charger was hot....
Since this incident, the HDD doesn't spin even after I tried to plug it on a new external HDD case.

I removed the PCB to see if there was some burned component but doesn't seem there is one.

I tried to take some measurement with a MM who could be find below. (no skills in this but everything seems ok from my understanding)

D3 / MM on 2M ohm : 0.39 / 0.59 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)
D3 / MM on diode test : no beep / 1 (OR) / 1161 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)
D4 / MM on 2M ohm : 0.43 / 0.56 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)
D4 / MM on diode test : no beep / 1 (OR) / 955 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)
R64 / MM on 2M ohm : 0.37 / 0.53 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)
R67 / MM on 2M ohm : 0.31 / 0.40 if I invert the leads (values keep growing if I keep the leads on it)

Does the HDD have a kind of protection for this case ? If not, is there any chance that is only the PCB who is faulty and not the motors/head inside the HDD ?

In case, only changing the PCB is sufficient, from what I've read, I need to found the same PCB.
Is it still relevant to swap U12 even if the PCB sticker number is the same (as the PCB number on the board itself) and the PCB is coming from the same hard drive reference (but not the same DCM) ?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Post subject: Re: WD : repair hdd after using wrong charger on external ca
PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 14:27 

No, you can not just swap out your PCB in newer drives. The ROM has adaptive and it must be swapped too. If you do not have any skills like you have said then take it to a DR company. You could have fried the preamp for the heads as well.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 15:56 

The two diodes seem to be OK, so I'm puzzled as to why the PCB was damaged, if indeed it is. Normally one would expect to see damage to the 12V TVS diode and possibly the 12V side of the SMOOTH chip. Usually the 5V electronics, including the preamp, are shielded from damage by the 5V DC-DC converter on the bridge PCB.

Could we see photos of both PCBs? I could identify the voltage test points for you. That should help us to determine whether the preamp has survived.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 9:33 

Thanks poehere / fzabkar

Please find the two sides of the PCB

Attachment:
IMG_20200422_152005.jpg
IMG_20200422_152005.jpg [ 2.52 MiB | Viewed 6217 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20200422_152116.jpg
IMG_20200422_152116.jpg [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 6217 times ]

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 21:22 

Measure the voltages at V1, V2 and Vneg with respect to ground (eg a screw hole).

Could we see the USB-SATA bridge PCB as well?

Attachments:
regs.jpg
regs.jpg [ 150.95 KiB | Viewed 6161 times ]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 11:45 

fzabkar wrote:
Measure the voltages at V1, V2 and Vneg with respect to ground (eg a screw hole).

Ok got it.
I don't have a working external case in my hand right now to power supply the PCB (nor a desktop computer to plug it on the fly) but will find one soon.
fzabkar wrote:
Could we see the USB-SATA bridge PCB as well?

I think I've thrown them away because the incident occurred a long time ago, but will take a look

Thanks for your time