Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Read error rate fluctuations in seagate 4TB portable usb

April 29th, 2020, 12:40

So this is what I am seeing:

1. Started a 8gb single file torrent to download on a 4TB seagate backup plus connected to usb 2.0 port. Before the start of download the Read error rate values were: Current 83 Worst 64 Threshold 6.

2. After the download is finished(& total upload was ~260MB before torrent went to standby seed) the Read error rate values were: Current 65 Worst 64 Threshold 6

3. Copied a 9GB single file to same 4TB seagate backup plus & after copying the Read error rate values were: Current 73 Worst 64 Threshold 6.

I tested with some more files & conclusion is that if I download a torrent to this 4TB seagate backup plus portable then during/after download is finished the Current value of Read error rate parameter drops but as soon as I copy some large amount of data to same drive(say ~5gb+) then current value again increase back.

Is the above by design like torrent relying mostly on small sectors so read error rate value drops because of a hdd poor 4k random read write speeds but when doing a sequential transfer of a large file there are no errors so algorithm increases the current value of Read error rate parameter?
Post a reply