All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB - Makes noises, heads are not stuck
PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 12:42 

Greetings everyone,

as the title says I am having problems getting my hdd to work again. Apart from making those clicking/beeping noises (see video) and then shutting down again it does not do anything else anymore.
The problem began when I started making a backup and had several copying processes running parallely. This may have confused and pushed the mechanics inside over the cliff. I may have not realized the weaknesses
of such small hdds. Having said that, I still wonder what could be the problem.

I already worked on several HDDs and was quite successful in recovering data (e.g. by opening the hdd and carefully restoring the head to its starting position). I also work in a nearly fully sterile enviroment (placing the hdd inside a box with permanent sucktion and hepa filter). Maybe the board shortcutted somewhere and I have to replace it (by buying the exact same hdd again)? The several heads inside seem to be in their initial position and are not stuck as it was the case with other hdds I worked on.

https://vimeo.com/419606392

Does anybody have suggestions how this hdd still could be saved? What would you do?
Obviously I am not able to afford the fees of a professional recovery laboratory.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me,
Chris

Attachments:
20200517_161700-cut.jpg
20200517_161700-cut.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 612 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB - Makes noises, heads are not st
PostPosted: May 21st, 2020, 14:56 

Hello,

Sorry to say, but without professional equipment and some years of experience you have 1% chance to recover it yourself. (I can hear some fellas sayin i am overestimating it but zero sounds so bad and pessimistic).
The drive sounds to have head and probably media problems, so it probably needs a new head stack, which alone would not be a big deal but then comes the harder part: deal with its firmware and convince it about not doing the things it wants to, then comes the cloning part, where it can bleed again if you try to do it without a tool, attaching it to an operating system.
That said, the best you can do is seeking pro help.

pepe

Post subject: Re: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB - Makes noises, heads are not st
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2020, 4:27 

Thanks for the detailed answer. That's what I feared. Well, I will keep it as a reminder to backup my backups.