Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

LSI Megaraid SAS JBOD case - Tough Nut to crack

July 26th, 2020, 8:48

Hi Friends
I have got IBM Xserver having SSD (for Boot) and 1.8TB SAS as JBOD attached to lSI megaraid. SATA SSD is having windows 10 . While upgrading server client removed 1.8TB disk and attached to new server SAS port. Before this this disk was perfectly detected and data was fully accessile. After connecting to new server this disk is not accessible in both servers.
In old servers Megaraid bios disk is detected and foreign disk , when tried to import it gives error and disk cannot get imported. Since it cant get imported on bios level no software is able to detect and scan it. In megaraid utility within windows same message comes up , disk cannot gets initilized and imported.
However in megaraid bios disk shows healthy state with no error what so ever.
I tried to boot server using legacy USB live pen drives but its obviously not detected ( none of the software is booting actually) .
I removed disk and connected it to my old adaptech 1405 SAS card and disk even does not spin. It gets detected in original server on bios level only.
What should I do ,can anyone tell me why disk is not getting imported. It is having simple JBOD configuration and my plan was to clone it on SATA disk first.
Those familiar with megaraid may be able to help.

Re: LSI Megaraid SAS JBOD case - Tough Nut to crack

July 26th, 2020, 9:04

IBM is a great entertainer in organizing raids. They can easily make inverted or shifted sectors in the array.

July 26th, 2020, 9:25

Nice joke :)
2 OP
Client, when attached hdd to different raid controller simply killed (automatically) metadata configuration file. That is why original megaraid controller unable to mount or import alien configuration now. In case if you simly want to restore data, you need to use HBA SAS controller and advanced software. Or go to a closest DR shop, who knows what to do.

July 26th, 2020, 10:08

DR-Kiev wrote:Nice joke :)
2 OP
Client, when attached hdd to different raid controller simply killed (automatically) metadata configuration file. That is why original megaraid controller unable to mount or import alien configuration now. In case if you simly want to restore data, you need to use HBA SAS controller and advanced software. Or go to a closest DR shop, who knows what to do.

I was sure Dr-Kiev is one of the person who can give justice to the case.
I agree with you but have following queries ---
1) This was not a raid configuration but a simple JBOD so no complex raid metadata.
2) I was of opinion that you will have to initilize raid configuration in order to modify metadata and settings. By merely connecting disk (when it is JBOD , I know if disk order is altered in Raid 5 then raid may get degraded but here is a single disk )
3) Is there any other reason for disk not getting imported.
4) Why adaptech is unable to spin /detect disk.
5) Is there any software which can bypass raid and irrespetive of configuration will give raw access to disk for cloning.
6) Unfortunately there is no one nearby who can do something .
7) Legacy boot option is not fully working or is of any use as I am unable to boot from any live CDs (USB)
8) Is UEFI boot is necessary ? If it is so then any live CD will not help.

July 26th, 2020, 16:20

terminator2 wrote:4) Why adaptech is unable to spin /detect disk.

Is the drive waiting for a Start Unit command?

July 26th, 2020, 17:05

terminator2 wrote:
2 OP

1) This was not a raid configuration but a simple JBOD so no complex raid metadata.
2) I was of opinion that you will have to initilize raid configuration in order to modify metadata and settings. By merely connecting disk (when it is JBOD , I know if disk order is altered in Raid 5 then raid may get degraded but here is a single disk )
5) Is there any software which can bypass raid and irrespetive of configuration will give raw access to disk for cloning.
7) Legacy boot option is not fully working or is of any use as I am unable to boot from any live CDs (USB)

1) Simple JBOD it also configuration, and also described in metadata at the back. It is not a path through mode (like for different vendors)
2) When client connected hdd to another server with another raid controller (most probably not HBA) two things could happend : a)controller dropped new config from cash b) controller created logs in metadata c) client simply inited drive under windows when it asked him automatically, EFI copy was dropped to the back
3) Why adaptec not spinning your drive i dont know, some controllers do that only after bus-scan or your hdd very special one with locked pin on interface and only dedicated vendors can handle that.

BTW how have you tested hdd? Do you see smart atributes on original system?

July 26th, 2020, 23:21

fzabkar wrote:
terminator2 wrote:4) Why adaptech is unable to spin /detect disk.

Is the drive waiting for a Start Unit command?

hi fzabkar
I have checked in bios but everything is normal there , since this is hot swap disk I cant check whether drive is spinning or not. But in bios it shows correct model name (HGST OEM ) disk temprature etc.
I am attaching some snaps which may throw light on disk status.
Attachments
IMG_20200727_082525.jpg
IMG_20200727_082509.jpg
IMG_20200727_082450.jpg
IMG_20200727_082234.jpg

July 26th, 2020, 23:31

DR-Kiev wrote:
terminator2 wrote:
2 OP

1) Simple JBOD it also configuration, and also described in metadata at the back. It is not a path through mode (like for different vendors)
2) When client connected hdd to another server with another raid controller (most probably not HBA) two things could happend : a)controller dropped new config from cash b) controller created logs in metadata c) client simply inited drive under windows when it asked him automatically, EFI copy was dropped to the back
3) Why adaptec not spinning your drive i dont know, some controllers do that only after bus-scan or your hdd very special one with locked pin on interface and only dedicated vendors can handle that.

BTW how have you tested hdd? Do you see smart atributes on original system?

Thanks a lot for sharing this crucial information I was absolutely unaware of complexity even if in JBOD.I haven't tested smart attributes but as per client there was no issue with disk , client was able to fully access read /copy data. This issue has started after connecting disk to new server,
Like you said new server must have reinitilized it . Now disk is showing non importable.
I tried to connect one 300GB SAS just to check whether it can be imported ,and it can be imported.
I have checked disk in megaraid bios but it does not show any smart attributes related error.
Now if I try to initilize drive then all data will be lost. What can I do now.
Is there anyway to bypass raid configuration and establish full access to disk so as to make clone.
Even if I succeed in so I doubt since disk is configured through raid .
Is data recoverable or not in this case
Attachments
IMG_20200727_082132.jpg
IMG_20200727_081908.jpg
IMG_20200726_152542.jpg
IMG_20200727_082345.jpg
IMG_20200727_082058.jpg
IMG_20200727_080942.jpg
IMG_20200726_151554.jpg

July 27th, 2020, 1:47

Is there anything on page 313 that might apply?

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-sas-series/product-manual-ultrastar-c10k1800-oem-spec.pdf

Could auto spin up be disabled? (I don't know anything about SAS drives)

July 27th, 2020, 9:46

fzabkar wrote:Is there anything on page 313 that might apply?

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-sas-series/product-manual-ultrastar-c10k1800-oem-spec.pdf

Could auto spin up be disabled? (I don't know anything about SAS drives)

Wo good lead , I will check whether autospin is disabled or not. Thanks a lot fzabkar
I will also go through ultrastar manual. Somehow we will have to bypass megaraid and its configuration metadata and clone disk .Once we have image of the disk we can run any raid recovery tool.

July 30th, 2020, 5:42

Finally after long struggle I am concluding as following -

1) DUe to connecting disk with new raid controller all metadata is erased so disk cannot get imported by Megaraid ,Unless it is reinitilized again ,which will cause data loss.
2) We cant bypass raid controller to image /clone or repair .
3)A non raid SAS controller might be able to give access.
4) I attached another 300GB SAS disk which imported by Megaraid in bios and windows as well. I connected this disk to my Adaptech 1405 non raid SAS card but strangely even this disk did not spin , that means there is no issue with disks.
5) New raid controller has tried to initilize this disk and in the process has written some data overwritting previous file system.
6) I am unable to conclude was disk does not spin ther is setting for unrecognized spin but I dont know how autospin work.

If anyone could pls. suggest anything that I cant try.

July 30th, 2020, 9:46

terminator2 wrote:Finally after long struggle I am concluding as following -

1) DUe to connecting disk with new raid controller all metadata is erased so disk cannot get imported by Megaraid ,Unless it is reinitilized again ,which will cause data loss.
2) We cant bypass raid controller to image /clone or repair .
3)A non raid SAS controller might be able to give access.
4) I attached another 300GB SAS disk which imported by Megaraid in bios and windows as well. I connected this disk to my Adaptech 1405 non raid SAS card but strangely even this disk did not spin , that means there is no issue with disks.
5) New raid controller has tried to initilize this disk and in the process has written some data overwritting previous file system.
6) I am unable to conclude was disk does not spin ther is setting for unrecognized spin but I dont know how autospin work.

If anyone could pls. suggest anything that I cant try.

Hello
I think old adaptech is not supporting newer 6GB - 10 GB /S hard drives. I am also planning to buy one for adding SATA disks in my storage system.
Can someone pls. suggest a budget non-raid card ( $ 150 max) as so many ards are available ,dont know which is old or new .It should be pcie 3.0

July 30th, 2020, 10:20

terminator2 wrote:If anyone could pls. suggest anything that I cant try.

Send to a pro who has the tools and knowledge to recover the data in a day or two?

July 30th, 2020, 23:19

lcoughey wrote:
terminator2 wrote:If anyone could pls. suggest anything that I cant try.

Send to a pro who has the tools and knowledge to recover the data in a day or two?

No lcoughey - Its like accepting defeat before entering in war.
There is absolutely no need for a PRO. This is merely a JBOD case not complex Raid 5 one.
I have already reached in conclusive stage ,all I need is a new SAS controller I am sure I will be able to image disk first and then rebuild raid.
Pls. suggest me a suitable SAS controller card .Thanks
Post a reply