All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 20th, 2020, 16:29 
Offline

Joined: September 30th, 2005, 7:33
Posts: 850
pepe is asking for something like this:
Code:
Prod Desc: CheopsLiteM.1.0.SATA.Rosewood.Mule.Servo376.Rap30.AP1.4K + SMR Despo DFW
Package Version: RO08B6.HPM1.467804.RSM7   
Serial #: ZDE7YP6L
Changelist: 01325101
Model #: ST1000LM035-1RK172                     
ID: 101
Servo FW Rev: 6B6A
Heads: 2
PCBA SN: 0000C82783SX
Default factory config: SD&D
Active config: SD&D

TotalHostWrites 00000000
NumberOfSegWrites 0000
TotalHPCBROs 00000008
TotalBWOs 00000000
MCMTWrites 00000000
Idle1Count 0004
MCSegmentUsed 0627
MCNodeUsed 0000270A
NullNodesUsed 00000000



F3 T>
Diagnostic Port Locked


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 20th, 2020, 16:30 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
I am curious about what it spits out during powerup. That's all.
something like
Code:
Boot0x80
...
trans
Rst0x80

some MCMT related messages...
etc

pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 20th, 2020, 22:25 
Offline

Joined: December 6th, 2012, 8:49
Posts: 277
Location: españa
pepe wrote:
I am curious about what it spits out during powerup. That's all.
something like
Code:
Boot0x80
...
trans
Rst0x80

some MCMT related messages...
etc

pepe

Pepe, Do you really need to see the terminal's log? ....

This is a rossewod.... SA degraded and everything related to it, pending sectors, corrupt/damaged translator, MC and a long etc.....

A humble piece of advice, don't have the drive connected too long, do the tests you have to do quickly and don't play with it anymore. Every minute connected in this state is reducing the chances of recovery, the butter is melting very fast..........


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2020, 3:39 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 28th, 2009, 10:54
Posts: 3128
Location: Greece
colanco wrote:
the butter is melting very fast..........

:lol: :mrgreen:

_________________
http://www.northwind.gr
SandForce SSD Recovery
Ransomware Reverse Engineering - NoMoreRansom! partners


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2020, 7:23 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
yes, it's all true, but:
Quote:
i expect a log after powerup, no need to interact with it at all.
then we will have moral basis to say something like take it to a pro


moreover we make it clear it is not related to the pcb (which is 99+% but there's still a small chance, coz something visibly changed on it ).

BTW, the black looking part on the pcb is neither a cap nor a resistor, it is an inductor in fact.

2 OP: once connected to the serial port, don't run it long, 10-20 seconds is enough.
pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2020, 18:15 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
pepe wrote:
+1 for BGman.

People who know how to do it won't engage into a never ending course, those who think they know it may give you ideas.
We can check the terminal log for you and give an idea what could be wrong but you won't be able to do anything in the terminal since it is locked.
What you may try is cloning with HddSuperClone, there are plenty of references to it on this forum. But i don't recommend skipping the terminal log step...
Such job takes a few hours for those who know what to do and have proper tools, while it takes weeks to teach somebody with zero insight in the field, while we can expect drastically lower success rate. So what's the gain?
You do what you are good at and we do what we are good at.
Btw, without sharing your location we can't even recommend anybody who might be able to help you locally, probably at a fraction of the amount you mentioned, at this stage. It can reach a higher amount if the condition of the drive gets worse though.

pepe


1, Israel


2, What baud should i listen to ?
3, what commands should i run while in terminal

4, i want to acquire new skill so ye i'd like to learn and be educate on the matter , im not a lose cause that u can expect me to reach 0 success rate , everyone as to start somewhere ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 24th, 2020, 12:49 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
BR=38400
No need to run any commands, you can't (most of the commands are not accessible) and you should not run anything anyway without knowing what you are doing.
This drive is not the right one to start with. You won't get anywhere with it because you have no ways to access its firmware. As i said, the most you can do is trying to clone it, after we checked out the terminal log. But as others said it is very likely that it will get worse and that you end up with a dead disk and few data (if any).


you can learn a lot reading the forum, but as long as i am concerned, i won't provide free DR courses.
If you wanna get involved in this field then you need to invest time and money. I think it is not easy to start up a dr business these days.
You need to invest in tools and pick up a LOT of knowledge, presumably have some degree in electronics and programming, dig into file system structures, understand low level computer technology and understand how HDDs work. You can get an introduction into this latter topic by attending a training course of some DR tool manufacturer, but this will not provide you with ultimate skills, more like an introduction IMO.
pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 25th, 2020, 17:40 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
pepe wrote:
BR=38400
No need to run any commands, you can't (most of the commands are not accessible) and you should not run anything anyway without knowing what you are doing.
This drive is not the right one to start with. You won't get anywhere with it because you have no ways to access its firmware. As i said, the most you can do is trying to clone it, after we checked out the terminal log. But as others said it is very likely that it will get worse and that you end up with a dead disk and few data (if any).


you can learn a lot reading the forum, but as long as i am concerned, i won't provide free DR courses.
If you wanna get involved in this field then you need to invest time and money. I think it is not easy to start up a dr business these days.
You need to invest in tools and pick up a LOT of knowledge, presumably have some degree in electronics and programming, dig into file system structures, understand low level computer technology and understand how HDDs work. You can get an introduction into this latter topic by attending a training course of some DR tool manufacturer, but this will not provide you with ultimate skills, more like an introduction IMO.
pepe



im not looking to open or enter the DR business, not sure what made u think that .

i am a curious guy that love to learn new stuff that are interested to me.
IMO the issue comes from people with knowledge that dont want to share it which sucks tbh .
everyone started some where , and this somewhere is 1, alone with trial and error 2, by reading online .
concerning number 2, thanks to some who decided to share / leak , so after receiving "free reading data and knowlege " people decide to keep all the new information they gathered with out sharing it back to the community , from which he got all his info from .
anyhow thats my take on it, and its sad , like u mention it is hard since there is no one place that covers DR information with guides.
take a look at louis rossman with his macbook repairs, and ipad rehab where they explain and shows what cause the problem and how to fix it.
sharing does not mean losing money, since anyway people that live abroad wont reach u.
share knowlege , this is why platform like github started , to share open source code and information .

perhaps this comunity can try to create such page/wiki little by little to introduce more people to it , unfortunately i dont have enough knowledge , but if i had this kind of info, i would contribute my part.

concerning my disk, cloning will be impossible right now in mycase since it turns on and off after the caps turned all black, at the moment i am waiting for the 2 boards i ordered online to swap this chip. hopefully that will be the end of it.



i had a question tho, why in the first place seagate lock their HDD ? whats the reason .
on top of that i cant belive how many people lost their data because of seagate , i mean if this something intentional why people dont sue seagate for that crap. just my opinion .

and by the way , thanks again for taking interest in my case :) this is Not obvious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 4:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 28th, 2009, 10:54
Posts: 3128
Location: Greece
ronron wrote:
i had a question tho, why in the first place seagate lock their HDD ? whats the reason .


Well for one I think it's because they got tired of getting RMAs of bricked drives due to people blindly hitting commands on the terminal. Under circumstances, you can brick a drive with a single letter command. Picture this: "f" <enter>. Bricked.
And, it's because Seagate has its own data recovery center and they must have found it amusing to make our lives harder. However, thanks to some very intelligent people we were able to bypass their lock. Or most of them.

ronron wrote:
on top of that i cant belive how many people lost their data because of seagate , i mean if this something intentional why people dont sue seagate for that crap. just my opinion .

Actually there is an ongoing lawsuit against Seagate since 2016.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981 ... rates.html

_________________
http://www.northwind.gr
SandForce SSD Recovery
Ransomware Reverse Engineering - NoMoreRansom! partners


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 4:28 
Offline

Joined: November 7th, 2020, 5:31
Posts: 81
Location: The_UK
ronron wrote:
IMO the issue comes from people with knowledge that dont want to share it which sucks tbh .


You're partly right of course but not entirely, you'll see information flowing between users freely within certain aspects of DR and there's a considerable amount of generic assistance given.

If you're a rossmann or jessa viewer you'll be familiar with the term "please bro". There are a number of very good posts on techniques for diagnosing specific and generic faulty pcbs both here and at hddorcle. Have you run any continuity test or measured any of the voltages on your board?

I have a ST1000LM035 sitting on the bench with scored platters the PCB is, to my knowledge fine. If you want me to check voltages, resistance or diode measurements I'm happy to do so (as I have in other threads) just list/identify the components.

If the problem is beyond swapping chips and cloning the drive there *very* little than can be done without the investment in DR tools and PC3000, that's just the way it is - hard to hear but it's true. That's a 5 figure investment people are not going to make to play with one drive.

You could try cloning with a power relay and hddsuperclone but the constant off and on without knowing what's wrong is likely to damage the drive more and potentially make any data unreadable even to a pro, what you have at the moment should be an everyday case. Everyone says the data is not important but no one actually means it otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with the drive.

_________________
Properly, Quickly, Cheaply - Pick any two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 8:09 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
Quote:
im not looking to open or enter the DR business, not sure what made u think that .


there is no point to go any further then. You can do perfectly nothing useful with the drive on your own.

Please post that log and let us see.

pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 17:04 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
northwind wrote:
Actually there is an ongoing lawsuit against Seagate since 2016.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981 ... rates.html



i didnt knew that , well they deserve it.
i mean the hdd i have in hand is from a new lenovo laptop (1y old) it look like a genuine drive. so i wont belive it is a "fake" hdd from china , i dont belive that lenovo purchase these drive from an unknow retailer.



Lardman wrote:

You're partly right of course but not entirely, you'll see information flowing between users freely within certain aspects of DR and there's a considerable amount of generic assistance given.

If you're a rossmann or jessa viewer you'll be familiar with the term "please bro". There are a number of very good posts on techniques for diagnosing specific and generic faulty pcbs both here and at hddorcle. Have you run any continuity test or measured any of the voltages on your board?

I have a ST1000LM035 sitting on the bench with scored platters the PCB is, to my knowledge fine. If you want me to check voltages, resistance or diode measurements I'm happy to do so (as I have in other threads) just list/identify the components.

If the problem is beyond swapping chips and cloning the drive there *very* little than can be done without the investment in DR tools and PC3000, that's just the way it is - hard to hear but it's true. That's a 5 figure investment people are not going to make to play with one drive.

You could try cloning with a power relay and hddsuperclone but the constant off and on without knowing what's wrong is likely to damage the drive more and potentially make any data unreadable even to a pro, what you have at the moment should be an everyday case. Everyone says the data is not important but no one actually means it otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with the drive.



you are very kind , and thank you for offered help .
i am indeed a viewer of both , i learned alot, never tried to repair a macbook or an iphone deeply as they go but those are fascinating stuff this is why i love to watch them and learn stuff i didnt knew before.
(i dont know the term of "please bro" :) )


"Have you run any continuity test or measured any of the voltages on your board? "
hmm no i did not since i dont know what to test or how to , but if u have the same board as mine u could point me where and what to measure and what the reading should be like, or just looking at the picture i attached to the thread and point me there. that would be a nice start before the 2 boards arrived to me.

"There are a number of very good posts on techniques for diagnosing specific and generic faulty pcbs both here and at hddorcle"

i have tried to find some, but they are so many posts that i must skip those :D , if u do have couple in reach , i'd like to read them and learn a thing or two . <3


and i must say i am also a viewer of HDD Recovery Services on youtube :) cool guy

pepe wrote:
there is no point to go any further then. You can do perfectly nothing useful with the drive on your own.

Please post that log and let us see.

pepe


lol dont be like that ;)

i am sure , you "pepe" do not learn stuff only to create a bussines out of it.
i am sure! that u learn stuff for the sake of learning and knowing new things.
same over here << i am not intrested in opening a shop or a bussines out of it, this is not my interest . (how ever not every1 is like me , and u my likely sir maybe do learn stuff to open a shop, who knows ;) )

anyhow, i cant find the TTL to USB , i asked a friend to find his .
that can take some time ;)


anyhow , i dont think this is a lock, because from the getgo i could've take out some files , while i belive that if there is a lock of some sort u wont be able to retrieve anything because its getting lock immediately , perhaps i am wrong and the drive do not get locked right away after boot spin idk.. but my educated skills tell me its not that .

again thanks all :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 17:22 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 13041
Location: Australia
northwind wrote:
Actually there is an ongoing lawsuit against Seagate since 2016.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981 ... rates.html

ISTM that the lawsuit is likely to fail:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001#Class_action

Apparently the stupid judge doesn't understand that an external drive which contains the same internal model is affected by the same technical issues.

Quote:
On June 15, 2018, Judge Joseph Spero ruled that the class action plaintiffs must separate into multiple classes, as there was too much variability in failure rates to combine all claims a single class. In 2019, the plaintiffs were denied class certification a second time.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: November 27th, 2020, 4:53 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
Quote:
lol dont be like that ;)
i am sure , you "pepe" do not learn stuff only to create a bussines out of it.
i am sure! that u learn stuff for the sake of learning and knowing new things.
same over here << i am not intrested in opening a shop or a bussines out of it, this is not my interest . (how ever not every1 is like me , and u my likely sir maybe do learn stuff to open a shop, who knows ;) )


Believe me this is not the right choice for starting learning about hard drives. You are right about me in those statements, but if i start learning something i usually start at the beginning, try basic and easy things like building a 'hello world' kind of app.
Rosewood drives are just not like that. Try starting with a drive from before 2013.

about the lock thing: it applies to diagnostic commands, both ATA and terminal. It does not affect normal drive funcitions, so user can read and write normally, provided the drive works ok otherwise of course.


pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 18:39 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
pepe wrote:
BR=38400
No need to run any commands, you can't (most of the commands are not accessible) and you should not run anything anyway without knowing what you are doing.
This drive is not the right one to start with. You won't get anywhere with it because you have no ways to access its firmware. As i said, the most you can do is trying to clone it, after we checked out the terminal log. But as others said it is very likely that it will get worse and that you end up with a dead disk and few data (if any).


you can learn a lot reading the forum, but as long as i am concerned, i won't provide free DR courses.
If you wanna get involved in this field then you need to invest time and money. I think it is not easy to start up a dr business these days.
You need to invest in tools and pick up a LOT of knowledge, presumably have some degree in electronics and programming, dig into file system structures, understand low level computer technology and understand how HDDs work. You can get an introduction into this latter topic by attending a training course of some DR tool manufacturer, but this will not provide you with ultimate skills, more like an introduction IMO.
pepe

here i am after 2 month of waiting for everything to come .

about a week ago , just started on it today , i am a horrible solder :D its soooo small

im not sure if i burn out the cap/transistor or w.e was it , but i am having the same issue after replacing it , i tried rs232 with the CP2102 USB to TTL no output so im not to sure if i connect the right way the connection .


i tried BR 38400 no output .

i do wonder which connection so i need to connect

TX RX and GND power ?
is RX is enough ?



right now even tho after i swaped the burned little capacitor , it get recognized on the pc (it make a sound of usb connecting ) , but nothing shows up , diskpart , disk manager , windows explorer (my pc) freeze while the hdd is connect .


the board is 100809471
can u please tell me which one is RX TX GND ?

what i though was from left to right POWER SATA TX RX GND (if i look on the pcb side while the connection are away from me)



next question would be , since i purchased 2 boards incase i fuck up one (which i think i did) , the only thing i have to replace is the bios chip right ?

thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 21:50 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
Quote:
POWER SATA TX RX GND

the above is ok, if TX means TX from adapter, but that's the RX pin of the HDD.

So from the HDD aspect it looks like this: POWER SATA RX TX
but you need to connect adapter TX to hdd RX and adapter RX to hdd TX obviously.

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 8th, 2021, 6:25 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
pepe wrote:
Quote:
POWER SATA TX RX GND

the above is ok, if TX means TX from adapter, but that's the RX pin of the HDD.

So from the HDD aspect it looks like this: POWER SATA RX TX
but you need to connect adapter TX to hdd RX and adapter RX to hdd TX obviously.


so to make sure i got it right .

from RS232 RX to TX on hdd
from RS232 TX to RX on hdd

any other connection should be do except power?
do GND / VCC as to be connected aswell ?


what about the bios chip quest , in case i need to swap it to the other board .

also , is it enough to connect 1 line aka from RS232 RX to TX on hdd because i only need its output ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 8th, 2021, 6:43 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
Quote:
also , is it enough to connect 1 line aka from RS232 RX to TX on hdd because i only need its output ?


yes, GND should be connected in any case, basically things work without it (gnd) because the usb adapter and the hdd are grounded together through the pc, but grounding them together is the proper way.

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2021, 16:11 
Offline

Joined: November 18th, 2020, 10:13
Posts: 30
Location: No where
pepe wrote:
Quote:
also , is it enough to connect 1 line aka from RS232 RX to TX on hdd because i only need its output ?


yes, GND should be connected in any case, basically things work without it (gnd) because the usb adapter and the hdd are grounded together through the pc, but grounding them together is the proper way.



i got no output unfortunately , not from the trace point nor from the connection themself. (near the sata port)

i connected , A tx H rx and A rx H tx , then i tried separately on A rx H tx . with PSU power + SATA data and with out SATA data .
i get nothing , not even art effect

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.01.08.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.01.08.jpeg [ 77.79 KiB | Viewed 10194 times ]

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.00.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.00.21.jpeg [ 82.88 KiB | Viewed 10194 times ]

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.00.21 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 22.00.21 (1).jpeg [ 84.29 KiB | Viewed 10194 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2021, 18:28 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 3443
Location: Hungary
do you get anything if you connect adapter tx and rx together (loopback) and open the port in a terminal program and type some characters? do you get an echo through the loopback?

pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexei, Google [Bot] and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group