All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair Overvolt on Seagate 7200.12
PostPosted: January 27th, 2021, 10:06 

I have a hard drive I removed, put into an external hard drive caddy (which worked), then returned to my PC and it didn’t read then I think I smelt some burning, then later tried again in the external caddy and it didn’t work.

I posted online asking for help years ago and was advised the problem was caused by an overvoltage on the 5v input. I never got around to following the steps to fix it, and I’ve now just ordered the tools needed to make the fix and realised I have a few questions that I’m hoping to get answered.

The steps I was given before were:

1. Once you can trust your PSU, you should remove the shorted 5V TVS diode. You can simply snip its pins with sharp pointed, flat jawed flush cutters. http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/ST ... AS_TVS.jpg
2. Then you need to clean up the charred remains of the inductors with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol (audio/video head cleaner).
3. Finally you need to rebuild the path from the +5V pins at the SATA power connector to the cathode (striped end) of the 5V TVS diode. Use a short length of insulated wire as follows:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/5V_TVS_fix.jpg
4. Test the board on its own before mounting it on the drive, and confirm that the supply voltages are correct.

The questions I have (based on the assumption the previous diagnosis is correct)

If I were to replace the diode, would it be a stable drive, or should I just scrap the HDD after recovering the data? (from the looks of things the inductor is completely burnt out?)

Following the steps I was given before my questions are:

1. How do I re-attach the wire? Solder?
2. Which pins do I attach it to? (Counting from the left, it should connect to pins 7-9?
3. Do I just put a blob of solder across all 3 pins and connect it to the wire, then wire the other end up to the cathode?
4. What type of wire should I use? I just bought a soldering kit that came with some black wire – I assume that would work?
5. How do I test the board on its own? I've just bought a multi-meter, but what parts of it should I test? (or what are the right search terms to find instructions)

This is all new to me, but I'm finding this all really interesting. Thank you for taking the time to answer in advance.

Attachments:
File comment: Close up
IMG_4557.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 13724 times ]
File comment: Board (Zoomed out)
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 13724 times ]
File comment: HDD info
IMG_4549.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 13724 times ]