All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2x WD 8TB, Softraid (App, not DiskUtility) MacOS -- DMDE
PostPosted: November 27th, 2020, 23:54 

Hey everyone,

I've managed to find and answer my own questions with previous recovery needs I've had, but my latest issue leaves me needing help from those more seasoned.

I was running Softraid on MacOS and had a power blip occur which somehow caused the Softraid to fail. I spent a few hours on the phone with them only to realise they really don't support and can't really help with actual recovery of their own application.

So I started searching and came across DMDE (and R-Studio) and figured I'd give them a shot.

My first attempt is using DMDE to reconstruct the RAID and after reading the "light" documentation I could find in their "manual." I'm really not sure what to do. I loaded up DMDE and went through the RAID reconstruct process adding both drives to the array and it picked them up as RAID 0. So I think that's good?

It's currently running now (about 30mins lapsed) and I'm honestly not sure what to do next? Please see attached image.

Do I wait here? Do I try to load one of these configurations? Is each of these configurations a possible "match" and after it runs through the whole drive(s) will it auto detect?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

- Jason

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.51.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.51.24 PM.png [ 274.75 KiB | Viewed 6722 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2x WD 8TB, Softraid (App, not DiskUtility) MacOS -- DMDE
PostPosted: November 28th, 2020, 6:57 

Hey,

After :? :shock: at the fact that you're indeed using a RAID0 for your data, looking at your screenshot it looks like DMDE most likely picked up correctly your stripe array.

You can actually check this by stopping the procedure (you can resume afterwards) and checking at some of the recovered data (try to open a large .rar file for example). If all goes well, you can resume operation.
Keep in mind, you will need to purchase DMDE license and you will need a new HDD to save your recovered data.

Having said that, I consider it obvious that this procedure is dangerous and may result in your data being unrecoverable. If your data is important, consult a pro, it should be cheap to have your data back at this stage.

Just FIY, standard RAID recovery procedure involves cloning all drives to new media and working with those. If one of your drives is degraded anyhow, you're looking at a disaster heading your way.

Best of luck!

Post subject: Re: 2x WD 8TB, Softraid (App, not DiskUtility) MacOS -- DMDE
PostPosted: November 28th, 2020, 15:17 

Save the results.

Check the SMART report of each drive. Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.

When opening your selected RAID configuration, recover a large JPEG and view it. This should tell you if the stripe size is correct.