All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bitlocker recovery (is it possible for me?)
PostPosted: March 24th, 2021, 15:01 

Hi

I have a laptop that had BitLocker on. My drive is an SSD and only a C partition exists.

Unfortunately, I used Kaspersky for virus detection and after curing the infection, I restarted the windows and now there is a message shown by the windows indicating that since a system file has changed (perhaps due to Kaspersky cure) the drive is locked and I should provide the BitLocker recovery key for it which I do not have. Also, it is not possible to access the Microsoft account I guess since this laptop is given to me by the university.
I have searched a lot for a solution and it seems like either I should find the recovery key from my account or from the supervisor (which is not possible right now) or I should decrypt the drive using a Ram capture which I think is not possible for me since the windows is not logging in. Also, there is a search by dictionary method and brute-forcing which I guess are not viable solutions. I have some files on this drive that I need urgently.

Is there any hope for recovering my files?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: bitlocker recovery (is it possible for me?)
PostPosted: March 24th, 2021, 15:14 

Of course there is.
You are definitively not the first case in your university.

It is pretty weird that you try to kind of hack a device that is not your own and that has been protected for a reason.

The obvious solution is to contact your university. There is no reason to call for outside help.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2021, 14:35 

I cannot understand how you are so sure that the laptop is university property and is not given to me or .... also why you call the process hacking since if I wanted to hack something I would have done it while windows was booting properly using ram capture in 10 clicks...
Consider removing the word "university" if it hurts your morals. :shock:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 7:38 

It is perfectly OK that somebody like you searching for recipes thinks that a "RAM capture" is so easy to do in case of a encrypted laptop that you received where you most likely had not admin rights. And what would you do with a RAM file of 8GB or maybe 16GB? :lol:

You either have to have your key or recovery key ready.
Until today there is no publicly known backdoor that you are looking for in this forum to circumvent encryption.

Result:
I see lots of hope for you but not the way you want it to be.