All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WesternDigital 2.5 1TB powers spins not reconized
PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 17:04 

I have a 1TB Blue From a HP laptop. The date is june 2016

It powers up I think. (feels like it) does not read or show up on the computer. Bios ignores it. (Does not matter what computer you try it on.!) I use Linux so my dmesg and fdisk -l showed it not responding and not being recognized.
most I can get out of it is when using my trusty USB sata connector…

Here is when i use a usb sata adapter what my dmsg shows. basically nothing though attempts to power cycle it (I hear a small sound from the drive as it powercycles)

The USB cable is fine I use this usb adaptor daily
Code:
$ dmesg|tail
[685314.367413] userif-3: sent link up event.
[685314.627547] userif-3: sent link down event.
[685314.627550] userif-3: sent link up event.
[691420.772732] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691526.645444] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691527.685477] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691527.685498] usb usb5-port1: attempt power cycle
[691529.041507] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691530.081500] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691530.081526] usb usb5-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

Its like the data is fine the hard drive board is just dead. It was not slowing down. just there was a power outage and after that never worked.

I tried to heat up the PCB to reflow some of the solder (sometimes I get lucky but in this it did nothing.!)

I am thinking the next step from what I understand is to go buy a donor board or similar but I am unsure and need to confirm what I need to change the u12.

I did this long time ago but I was reading back then that I needed to match all sorts of numbers and make sure its from the same country. It took me a long time eventually I swaped the chip that held the configure data and I did recovery my data. although alot of time has passed. Now it sounds like I just need the same board (in my case 2060 771960 A )

dcx 0j0tc5934
dcm hb0t2bb

wd10jpvx 60jc3t0
pn 726834 001
Board 2060 771960 A
Malaysia 22 june 2016

I guess what I am looking for is some sort of confirmation that I am on the right track or any tips. If there is anything I should be checking on it with a multi meter let me know I want to know what to look for. i searched and scoured and I see allot of good advice on here hoping for some of that.

I bought a year older full 1tb same model drive problem is my U12 chip is missing the cs pin. I tried many times to solder a pin with some grinding it down to get communication.

Is it possible to use the U12 from the donor board and do a raw recovery? using say photorec testdisk?

Attachments:
20210324_204357.jpg
20210324_204357.jpg [ 394.9 KiB | Viewed 14805 times ]

Post subject: Re: WesternDigital 2.5 1TB powers spins not reconized
PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 8:06 

If the drive powrs up then the PCB should be okay. Do you hear any clicking noises after its started? Its possible there is firmware damage.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 8:25 

Quote:
my U12 chip is missing the cs pin

I can't see clearly from the pictures but it looks to me you've ripped off the Serial Data pin on the eeprom. You're going to need to get that sorted.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 11:36 

Moreover, this drive family stores important, unique data in the SFL, so damaging it makes the recovery somewhat difficult. No problem, i can help with that, but most dr companies are not in possession of this knowledge.

pepe

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 16:31 

pepe wrote:
Moreover, this drive family stores important, unique data in the SFL, so damaging it makes the recovery somewhat difficult. No problem, i can help with that, but most dr companies are not in possession of this knowledge.

pepe

I have been trying hard not to damage the chip pin. I am not sure what to do i want to try the donor board chip that is different and see if I can do a raw recovery using testdisk or photorec is that possible. i post here first figure someone would know if this is a bad idea or not.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 4:33 

ralphnaz wrote:
i want to try the donor board chip that is different and see if I can do a raw recovery using testdisk or photorec is that possible

pepe wrote:
Moreover, this drive family stores important, unique data in the SFL

Until you have a valid eeprom you're not going to read the drive properly let alone the file system on it.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 6:54 

Lardman wrote:
ralphnaz wrote:
i want to try the donor board chip that is different and see if I can do a raw recovery using testdisk or photorec is that possible

pepe wrote:
Moreover, this drive family stores important, unique data in the SFL

Until you have a valid eeprom you're not going to read the drive properly let alone the file system on it.

That’s right, it’s an FBlite family drive with absolutely 100% unique data in the 4F module in ROM.

If that chip cannot be read, then it’s game over for DIY and indeed most professionals.

Also, given that it originally “powered up” then it’s 99.9% likely that the PCB wasn’t the culprit in the first place, so all this tinkering and butchering was unnecessary anyway :-(

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 9:52 

I want to be clear When I opened up this harddrive the pin was not there for cs. The drive powers up no sounds beyond that it would be the same as a working drive being plugged in for power but not being hooked to a computer sound. i am aware the importance of this u12 chip and have done this before with success. Problem is this time I got one that was not dead like my previous ones and the most important chip is missing the most important pin!

My pictures I took soldering it on to the donor board. this shot i did not have the chip straight. i figure I better take a picture of the chip.

Can I buy a chip like the one i have. best i can make out
25x20clvig 1621

If I find the same chip? or do I need some flash of its contents? I know I searched ebay and found some.. ?? anyone done this?

note i have to wait (seems like 24hours before they approve my posts if you are wondering why it takes so long to reply!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 14:49 

That pin is Data In, not CS. Not as if it would make any difference.
Quote:
have done this before with success

Probably on another family.

Of course you can replace it or do whatever you like, but without the contents you are very likely to fail.
Moreover, I really doubt this drive sounds the same as a working one :)

pepe

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 18:12 

I do not know what to tell you it powers up in fact in DMESG it tells me

Code:
$ dmesg|tail
[685314.367413] userif-3: sent link up event.
[685314.627547] userif-3: sent link down event.
[685314.627550] userif-3: sent link up event.
[691420.772732] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691526.645444] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691527.685477] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[691527.685498] usb usb5-port1: attempt power cycle
[691529.041507] usb usb5-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

so it literly see the drive but figure out what it is. its humming vibrating the way a drive I just gave power too. you can doubt what you want this is what i see and feel and what i am telling you.

I very carefully with my big magnify glass scraped it down til i could see some metal then attempted to solder to it to the pin since the pin is no where i got it from client with no pin.

when i unsolder the u12 and soldered it on donor board (I tested was functional drive accessible and all !) it acts the same way the orignial is just sorta powers on. my (linux mint) gives me this beyond that fdisk and anything else does not pick it up. and so you know the usb to sata connector i am using works good I use it to pull data from drives every day.

I refer to it as pin cs because the winbond pdf outlines the pin configuration as CS where the dot is and that is where the dot is
!!!hang on I have it upside down.. Its DIO what does DIO stand for.. so my CS pin is fine its my DIO ??

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2021, 2:36 

Quote:
so it literly see the drive
Are you sure about that ? Looks to me like all it sees is the usb bridge not the drive.
Quote:

Quote:
since the pin is no where i got it from client with no pin
So this isn't your own personal drive ? you're working on someone else's equipment :shock:
Quote:
hang on I have it upside down.. Its DIO what does DIO stand for.
It's in the datasheet sheet, page 5 but we've already mentioned it 3 times in the thread.

If you're doing this commercially please stop and send it to a professional, you're risking the customers data. There are plenty of good recovery services in Canada.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2021, 10:23 

you might be lucky with your solder blob, if the drive spins up. But in any case, the contents of that chip must be backed up before it decides visiting the eternal fields of electrons.
You apparently have no tools to properly diagnose this drive, so i also encourage you to contact somebody with right tools and know-how.

pepe

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2021, 11:25 

eternal fields of electrons :D
hehehe

Sounds so stingy (fields of gold :D )

Pepe, hope you are doing fab!
here's something that I found out.... what are the work arounds we are looking at to tackle non native 4Fs

--

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 13:12 

i do computer work. but normally do not go to this level of recovery. I let the client know they are ok with me mucking with it. I will never learn if I do not try. here is me trying. Until I can feel i can do this confidently (certainly not now) Its not something i am going to avertize as a service. infact i am in no way even pushing it. this is more of a if you can get it great. don't want to pay for profesional recovery. i imagine with the chip this way many pro shops would not take it on anyway. ??! I told the client if I can recover something its not going to cost him much of anything. I imagine for my cost of materials.

Hopefully that makes you feel better.

Lardman yes that seems to be the case. data input output. I guess i will have to keep trying. i think when i take the solder off post a picture here maybe you may be able to help me see what i should solder to the pad.

if I can figure out what needs a connection. i might of soldered two connections together. .

PostPosted: April 10th, 2021, 16:00 

Quote:
Hopefully that makes you feel better.

not as if i felt bad...
just tried to draw your attention to the fact that the contents of that poor flash chip are critical from the perspective of data access on that drive and gave you a hint about what to do with it.

take it or leave it... :)