All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Hard Drive That Screws the Computer ???
PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 3:20 

I have a hard drive that seems to screw up the bios or something of any computer i put it into.

It is 1T Seagate S1000DM003.

It was a data drive in a Win10 install that did a BSOD after a history of hassles and eventually we discovered it was the existence of this drive was screwing things. Took this drive out and I was able to partition, format and install win10 on the remaining drive on that computer. Whereas I couldn't even get in via Kyhi before, nor a MS Win10 install USB.

So now I try to trouble shoot this drive thinking to just zap it back into line and put it to use and i find when I hook it to the computer with nothing else there but a Kyhi USB it won't let it operate.

Starts of on switching on with a few lines of dots and dashes, sort of like tv interference up the top of the screen and then it goes into the windows logo and it looks like it is operating finally but the circling dots begin and never end...

So the kyhi stick is okay. I know that. Just fixed the last HDD with it.

So somehow this HDD is screwing with the computer so's it can't let the kyhi run winpe.

Anybody know anything about that kind of thing and any suggestions as to what I should/could do next?

It is - it was - the first time I ever found the culprit for win10 crashes to be a data drive on the same machine. If I'd followed proper protocol and always stripped a machine back to the essentials when trouble shooting I might have found it I don't know how many times before. But I was lazy. I never did. I certainly will in the future. Is this perhaps a 'feature' of SATA drives, new to SATA, not something we'd find in the old connection?

Post subject: Re: A Hard Drive That Screws the Computer ???
PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 3:53 

abrogard wrote:
I have a hard drive that seems to screw up the bios or something of any computer i put it into.

Please clarify "screw up" - it is possible a faulty drive may cause a machine not to complete POST but I've never seen one damage a bios. What are you trying to do with the drive recover data from it or install windows on it.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:22 

I think you can see what i mean later down in my post. It won't let Kyhi come up. Kyhi I think is trying to run winpe and it won't let it.

'bios or something' is what I said meaning the basic input output system meaning that it's getting in there somewhere and stopping the ordinary functioning of something that should have nothing at all to do with it - i.e. the processing between the computer and the usb stick. What's that got to do with a data disk that just happens to be connected?

I didn't mean it got into the actual bios chip or anything.

I think I said what i was trying to do with it a little further down in the post:

"So now I try to trouble shoot this drive thinking to just zap it back into line..." by which I meant clean partitions and reformat.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:30 

abrogard wrote:
"So now I try to trouble shoot this drive thinking to just zap it back into line..." by which I meant clean partitions and reformat.

IF the machine is passing POST, grab yourself a linux livecd and format the drive with that. I have no idea what Kyhi is or does, you'll be able to determine the actual problem if there is one from the linux logs.

FWIW "zap back into line" isn't short hand for "clean partitions and reformat" on this side of the globe. :roll:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:37 

It's not?? I'll be damned. I thought it was universal.

Funny thing - 'linux livecd' isn't real intelligible to me, either. What's that exactly? Some kind of cd I suppose? Don't have any cd drives here...

Perhaps some kind of 'linux on a usb stick' ?

that'd be similar to what Kyhi is. Kyhi is 'windows on a usb stick' plus trouble shooting tools.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:56 

You asked, you received a reply. It's up to you what you do with that information, it makes no difference to me.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 10:15 

Seems to me, you throw that Seagate off the end of a pier and your troubles are solved.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 17:35 

you're exactly right. I guess. but we like to try fix things don't we.
:)