All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard drive password
PostPosted: April 17th, 2021, 19:13 

I am new to hddguru and i am a novice when it comes to computers. I have a question and I am not sure if this is where to ask it. I have a Dell optiplex 7020. It has a 256 gb ssd that has windows 10 pro loaded on it. It also has a Western Digital 500 gb hard drive. When I turn on the computer I get the dell logo and then it asks for Hdd-0 password. The guy that gave me the Hdd told me the password and I enter it and the computer boot up to windows. My question is there a way to get rid of the password so the computer boots right away to windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Hard drive password
PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 4:41 

A good place to start would be this page and the linked documentation: https://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Also this thread: https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=20

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 18:58 

I probably did not explain my problem very well. I bought this Dell 7020 with a 256 ssd with windows 10 pro loaded on it. Everything was working fine. I obtained a WD 500 GB hard drive from a friend and installed it. The hard drive has a password (abcdefg). The first time I started the computer after installing the hard drive it asks for a password for HHD-0. I type in abcdefg and the computer boots up to windows like it did before. I just wanted to know if there is a simple way to remove this password so I don't (actually my wife) doesn't have to type in the password. I thought if I knew the password it would be easy to change or remove it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2021, 0:31 

Look into your Dell Bios at the Security section. There you'll find a section dedicated to drives security. Disable the password for the hdd given the fact that you know it.

Rgds

PostPosted: April 26th, 2021, 3:59 

read documentation at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-au/product-support/product/optiplex-7020-desktop/overview or enter the service tag number at Dell support to find correct documentation if this is not your exact model.

also this link may help https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000132226/dell-system-prompts-for-a-hard-drive-hdd-or-bios-password

PostPosted: April 28th, 2021, 15:52 

Thanks for all the help. I used the advice from "ccc" and went into the bios security section and selected hdd-0 and it said password was set. I entered the password and pressed enter. Got the reply that the old password was incorrect. Remembered reading that Dell could supply a reset password and when you enter it you need to press control and enter. Dell wanted to charge a service fee to provide the reset password which was way more then the cost of a new drive. So I entered my known password for this hard drive "abcdefg" and pressed control and enter. It accepted the old password and deleted it. Victory. Thanks again for the information.