Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

ATA Locked ST1000LM024 (Samsung)

April 26th, 2021, 14:05

Hi, all! Been a lurker for a bit now but I seem to have a hit a brick wall here.

I have MHDD loaded up but don't know where to proceed with unlocking this drive. I had put a password years ago and stupidly did not type it down or store it in my "natural memory file", my brain :lol:

Anyway, if anyone could guide me through this, I'd really appreciate it.

I also have TeamViewer up and running. I'd be willing to pay what little money I can offer. I don't need data recovery, I just want to put this drive into my Xbox 360 whose HDD has finally bit the dust!

Thank you!

Re: ATA Locked ST1000LM024 (Samsung)

April 27th, 2021, 4:30

in that case you could just use secure erase, which clears the pw and wipes the data, leaving you with a usable drive...

pepe

April 27th, 2021, 8:07

pepe wrote:in that case you could just use secure erase, which clears the pw and wipes the data, leaving you with a usable drive...

pepe

Sounds like a plan! I will give that a try and get right back to you.

April 27th, 2021, 9:01

Does MHDD have a SECURE ERASE option? I don't see it.

Security level is ight set to high. None of the master passwords I have tried have worked.

April 27th, 2021, 15:20

pepe wrote:in that case you could just use secure erase, which clears the pw and wipes the data, leaving you with a usable drive...

pepe

So MHDD lead me nowhere. (Well I did too a SMART check, posted below.) So I moved into hdparm.

With hdparm I get that error, which after googling, seemed to be a bug in the Linux kernel of ~4.4, so I downgraded my CD of PartedMagic and the error is now an I/O error whenever I try to unlock the drive or erase. Few photos below:

Image Image

Everything I've read says I should be able to unlock this if security is set to high and not maximum but I keep getting I/O errors.

Any guidance on this? I've been at this for over 2 days now.

Thank you in advance!.
Post a reply