All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD40EZRZ HDD Noise Changed after Data Recovery Diagnosis
PostPosted: November 8th, 2021, 8:27 

Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with a Western Digital HDD (WD40EZRZ). It was installed in a desktop machine as an additional data disk and working fine until one day I left the PC running and after I came back a few minutes later an error message was shown from Windows Boot Manager. After reboot, the drive was not recognized in the BIOS anymore and made a strange rhythmic noise (see linked video).

Video: https://youtu.be/bJLAm2N25rs

After I fixed the boot issue (the actual boot disk is an SSD) I checked the Windows Event Log and found several error messages about bad blocks, some even dating back months ago. The last error before the machine crashed was also a bad block error from the defect HDD in the Event log.

After some research, I found hints that it could be a firmware issue caused by too many bad block errors. I contacted data recovery labs in Germany (I'm from Germany) and some confirmed that this could be the issue. My plan was to bring the drive to a local shop first, where they do an analysis for 30 Euros. But due to sicknesses, the shop told me it would take approximately two weeks for the diagnosis. So I decided to send it to a lab right away, where they offer a "no data no money" policy.

During my research, I found a lot of scam reports and I became really paranoid about getting scammed. I feared that the lab could diagnose some serious damage despite where was not. After I saw some youtube videos about DIY HDD repairs I decided to open the drive and take a short look inside. I opened the HDD cover only a bit for about two seconds. I could verify that the head assembly was in the parking position and no scratches on the top platter had been visible. I closed it immediately.

After that, I sent the HDD to the DR lab and a few days later I received a diagnosis report: Head crash and platter damage. Cost estimation was just under 1000 Euros. I was skeptical about the diagnosis and did not order the data recovery. I planned to get a second opinion. After I received the drive from the lab I powered it on, to see if something changed. And indeed it things changed: After spin up, the HDD made a clicking noise and spun down immediately (see linked video). Now it really sounded like what I would expect from a head crash.

I contacted the lab again and sent the before and after audio. They replied to me after a few days. After they saw that the HDD cover had been opened before, they opened it also, and saw that the platter was dirty (but this time they did not mention any scratches). They said that they never powered on the HDD, because anything could have happened.

So my question is: Is it possible that opening the HDD for a very short time without touching anything really caused a head crash? Or could that be a kind of scam from the LAB to make more money or get parts from the HDD?

Post subject: Re: WD40EZRZ HDD Noise Changed after Data Recovery Diagnosis
PostPosted: November 8th, 2021, 14:30 

phatoni wrote:
After I saw some youtube videos about DIY HDD repairs I decided to open the drive and take a short look inside. I opened the HDD cover only a bit for about two seconds. I could verify that the head assembly was in the parking position and no scratches on the top platter had been visible. I closed it immediately.
Sigh. It doesn't matter how many of us put webpages up saying dont open drives - users always find youtube first :cry:

You couldn't see damage but that doesn't mean there wasn't any. IF (and who knows) the company didn't power it on and knew what they were doing no more damage would have occurred. Powering the drive on after receiving the drive back could have have totally trashed it though. Price wise - not the best price for platter clean and a head swap but open drives normally carry a premium and it's not unreasonable depending on damage.

Gefund-it out your way rings a bell but I'm sure other members can suggest reputable DR shops if you want a second opinion.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2021, 14:37 

Just listened to the audio - Definitely heads now.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2021, 14:56 

Thank you for your response! My trust issues made it worse as it seems. But who knows, if they would have diagnosed a head crash even if the HDD had not been open.