All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8 month old Ironwolf Pro stopped working. Found a small dent
PostPosted: January 5th, 2022, 5:36 

All of a sudden, without any warning, my 8 month old Ironwolf Pro 16TB stopped working. Here's how it happened:

1. Was color grading pretty hefty 4.6K Raw video files from it. Then the disk got super slow. I stopped color grading.
2. Opened "This PC" in windows and it still detected all of the drives. Then I clicked open the "(D:)" drive, and it couldnt load anything.
3. Clicked "restart computer" and it didn't turn on anymore. After waiting for 20 minutes I shut the computer down by holding the power button.
4. I shut down my PSU and disconnected the (D:) drive from the motherboard.
5. Computer turned on fine. My other 3 16tb ironwolf pro:s seemed to be fine.

I then detached the non-functioning HDD from the hard drive sled and saw this linear dent (pictures), something I had not seen before, nor do I remember seeing it when I bought the hard drive. The dent is only on the shining part on the top left corner of the HDD and its barely noticeable by touching. Its something like 0,1mm deep or less.

Is this dent the cause of this trouble? If so, what could have caused the dent? After inspecting the HDD sled it has nothing that would have done this.

Attachments:
Seagate dent 2.jpg
Seagate dent 2.jpg [ 627.75 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
Seagate dent 1.jpg
Seagate dent 1.jpg [ 412.08 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]

Post subject: Re: 8 month old Ironwolf Pro stopped working. Found a small
PostPosted: January 5th, 2022, 8:08 

Looks like screwhead or rail damage when being mounted to me. Where it is, it would have been very unlikely to caused a problem during operation, I'm not sure how seagate will feel about a warranty claim though.

When you say stopped working - is it spinning and you've lost the structure or is the drive now dead? If there's nothing of value on it RMA it, high capacity drives aren't cheap to recover simply because of their size.

If it's still spinning without and nasty noises grab a copy of DMDE or rstudio and see what that makes of it.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2022, 8:19 

Hmm, might be. Imo fractal design makes shitty sleds compared to other manufacturers.

Its not dead. It makes this weird high pitched sound every 2 seconds-ish (?) to me it sounds like that something moves inside the drive for a fraction of a second every 2 seconds. Maybe the playhead?

I would be interested in using rstudio or dmde, but my computer litterally wont turn on when the drive is plugged in. Just today I tried starting the computer with the malfunctioning drive attached and after 20 minutes of waiting I just shut the computer down.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2022, 9:31 

High pitched sounds aren't good at all. Your PC is stuck trying to ID the drive so can't pass it's POST. If you have a USB cable try that or plug in after boot. To be honest it's sounding like mechanical damage to the drive and I'd be concerned about more damage to the platters. If the data has value best pass it to a pro even having the drive powered on could be grinding your data into dust.