All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2TB WD Not Spinning but Shows Up In BIOS
PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 23:35 

hi all,
I have a 2tb western digital HDD that does not seem to spin up and is completely silent. It does not show up in windows, however it is detected in the BIOS and displays its correct model number but the capacity shows up as 0GB. The HDD worked fine prior to a power outage so I used a multimeter to confirm that the PCB wasn't damaged. Upon checking it appears that diodes D1 and D5 have failed. Is there any way to fix this drive to the point I can recover the data? I was thinking of replacing the diodes but I have no Idea the model or make to replace them with. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me that can help fix the drive. Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon. Please refer to the links below for images of the PCB.
https://imgbox.com/BeIcG3iB
https://imgbox.com/c4pShRE8

Post subject: Re: 2TB WD Not Spinning but Shows Up In BIOS
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2022, 4:42 

The bios is pulling the drive ID from the rom rather than the drive.
Nice clear board pics, D3 and R67 are worth checking as are D4 and R64. I'd be concerned if D1 is blown, I believe that's protection for smooths VCC although I don't have a datasheet for L7251. fzabkar has made a number of posts about the poor power protection design on WD's, are you sure it was power outage and not psu cable related?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2022, 13:17 

D1 is a flywheel diode for the Vcore or Vio regulator. If it were faulty, then I can't see how the MCU would work, in which case the drive would not ID.

I have no idea what D5 does.

I would think all the supplies would be OK, but you can measure them just to be sure.

Is it possible that the drive has been configured to power up in standby (PUIS)?

Attachments:
V2.jpg
V2.jpg [ 166.65 KiB | Viewed 7891 times ]
V33.jpg
V33.jpg [ 164.76 KiB | Viewed 7891 times ]
V1_Vneg.jpg
V1_Vneg.jpg [ 233.58 KiB | Viewed 7891 times ]

PostPosted: April 5th, 2022, 15:33 

Lardman wrote:
The bios is pulling the drive ID from the rom rather than the drive.
Nice clear board pics, D3 and R67 are worth checking as are D4 and R64. I'd be concerned if D1 is blown, I believe that's protection for smooths VCC although I don't have a datasheet for L7251. fzabkar has made a number of posts about the poor power protection design on WD's, are you sure it was power outage and not psu cable related?

D3 and D4 reads as it should, as well as R67 and R64. It was only after the power outage that the drive ended up like this so I'm assuming it was due to that.

fzabkar wrote:
D1 is a flywheel diode for the Vcore or Vio regulator. If it were faulty, then I can't see how the MCU would work, in which case the drive would not ID.

I have no idea what D5 does.

I would think all the supplies would be OK, but you can measure them just to be sure.

Is it possible that the drive has been configured to power up in standby (PUIS)?

The drive was used "as is" out of box so I assume PUIS was disabled. Not sure if it happened to enable somehow. Is there a way I can confirm if it is enabled? And if it is how can I disable it?
Also do you guys suggest I replace the "faulty" diodes?
Appreciate the support so far, stay safe.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2022, 16:30 

Measure the voltages.

Launch HDAT2 with the "/w" switch, or boot from a live Linux distro.

If the voltages are OK, and the drive doesn't wake up, then transfer the ROM to a donor PCB.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2022, 4:18 

fzabkar wrote:
Measure the voltages.

Launch HDAT2 with the "/w" switch, or boot from a live Linux distro.

If the voltages are OK, and the drive doesn't wake up, then transfer the ROM to a donor PCB.

Hey fzabkar sorry to bother you yet again. Finally got around to trying your suggestions. The drive is detected in HDAT2 but shows up as zero GB in size, see linked image. Also tried booting a Linux distro but the drive was not detected. Looked online for a donor PCB but can't find one. Any suggestions left that you can give me or is it a lost cause at this point? thanks alot for all the advice so far, stay safe.
https://imgbox.com/YA3x7vQC