Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Platter Cleaning

August 4th, 2022, 17:05

Just wondering if anyone can vet the Platter Cleaning Tool avail. at a major data recovery tool firm.
Not going to post any links - but some may have gotten an email from Tina.

Thx.

Re: Platter Cleaning

August 4th, 2022, 20:19

I don't know who Tina is, however, I think your money is better spent paying someone to teach you. The "kit" after that will cost you 50$ + chemicals.

August 5th, 2022, 0:26

The only problem with Tina's tool is, it doesn't have adjustable speed, and there's no information how fast it's spinning the platters.

The price seems to be reasonable, but they are not telling you some of the important details about the product...

Offtopic.. When it comes to platter cleaning, it really depends what kind of chemicals you can use, depending on the pollution. About +90% cases you don't need any chemicals to clean the platters.

August 6th, 2022, 3:55

SirForensic wrote:The only problem with Tina's tool is, it doesn't have adjustable speed, and there's no information how fast it's spinning the platters.

The price seems to be reasonable, but they are not telling you some of the important details about the product...

Offtopic.. When it comes to platter cleaning, it really depends what kind of chemicals you can use, depending on the pollution. About +90% cases you don't need any chemicals to clean the platters.

But sometimes One case or Two of those ugly cases cover your expenses for the whole remaining year..

August 8th, 2022, 14:28

Thanks for your comments, we use HFE-7100 as our go-to.
Just didn't have any experience with Tina's products - we typically just use a dedicated chassis and it works fine.
Good points regarding the RPM.

August 8th, 2022, 17:15

What's the deal here?

https://www.dolphindatalab.com/hdd-platter-cleaning-workstation/

If I click on "PRICE: USD30", I'm served up an invitation to pay $30 to Dolphin, but for what?

August 9th, 2022, 2:48

fzabkar wrote:If I click on "PRICE: USD30", I'm served up an invitation to pay $30 to Dolphin, but for what?

HDD Platter Cleaning Workstation Pro. contains the following components:

1, Cleaning hardware workstation;
2, Platter fix nut for 2.5″ platter;
3, Platter fix nut for 3.5″ platter;
4, Power Supply AC Adapter.

It's essentially a chassis with the spindle extended and platter adapters. The same could be achieved with parts from anyone's fuckitbucket, in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of a home brew solution somewhere in the past.

August 9th, 2022, 12:42

... but here is the same thing for US$300:

https://www.hddheadtools.com/product/hdd-platter-cleaning-workstation-pro/

"Big Promotion: Buy HDD Platter Cleaning Workstation Pro., Get HDD Platter Cleaning Training Video for free"

Wow!!!!

September 7th, 2022, 2:13

Best practice question.

If you get a drive that click, customer said drive start clicking after he dropped it from the table.... Before connecting the drive to PC-3000, do you open it? You remove each platter to inspect them or do you first copy ROM, install SATA PCB, connect to PC-3000.

(this is a genreal question, for some drives, like Rosewood... I will inspect platters first).

I am doing.

0. Open drive, inspect top platter and filter.
1. copy ROM
2. Install SATA
3. Connect, Kernel mode, Ram loader... Edit head map
4. If no luck look for a donor and headswap.
5. If that doesn't work, remove each platters and inspect/clean.

September 7th, 2022, 4:06

0.5: inspect heads and treat drive accordingly. I consider this as the most important part.

I do a couple of other checks i won't describe here, but the above list +0.5 is usually ok.

I always start with routinely check internals if i don't have explicit info that the damage is logical.

pepe

May 2nd, 2023, 1:40

pepe +1
Post a reply