All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flashing Maxtor Firmware - Help please!
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 3:50 

Hey everyone, I have obtained the .ram, .ldr, and module files needed to flash the firmware for my Maxtor 2F040L0, but I cannot find a utility anywhere to actually do the flashing. In case it is important, it is an Ares C64K model, firmware version VAM51JJ0. If anyone has a flashing utility or program that has the ability to reload the .ram,.ldr, and modules, or any information on where to obtain one it would be greatly appreciated.

Email: raelenj@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 5:44 

Rhael wrote:
Hey everyone, I have obtained the .ram, .ldr, and module files needed to flash the firmware for my Maxtor 2F040L0, but I cannot find a utility anywhere to actually do the flashing. In case it is important, it is an Ares C64K model, firmware version VAM51JJ0. If anyone has a flashing utility or program that has the ability to reload the .ram,.ldr, and modules, or any information on where to obtain one it would be greatly appreciated.

As i see from you question you can throw you drive to the trash right now, without any "flashing" :wink:

If you just having a carpenter tools - you do not become the carpenter, you need experience and knowledge too. Without knowledge and experience carpenter dangerous to himself and for other.

You need fix your drive firmware, not "flash" new one....

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 7:06 

Flash firmware?
Maybe he is thinking that is the same process that can be donne with CDR/W or DVR.
ATA commands are alomost same then ATAPI commands but not 100% , they are in Storage class but has some differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 10:16 

Perhaps I have used the wrong terminology, maybe "flash" is not the right word. I understand what needs to be done. I have read all of the posts about using PC3000 or a similar program to repair the firmware using the .ram, .ldr., and module files. I just do not have such a program. As far as "throwing the drive in the trash" goes, I have to start learning somewhere. I could easily obtain the same drive and switch the logic boards, but I would rather save $50 and try to learn something new. I am just asking for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 11:00 

Rhael wrote:
Perhaps I have used the wrong terminology, maybe "flash" is not the right word. I understand what needs to be done. I have read all of the posts about using PC3000 or a similar program to repair the firmware using the .ram, .ldr., and module files. I just do not have such a program. As far as "throwing the drive in the trash" goes, I have to start learning somewhere. I could easily obtain the same drive and switch the logic boards, but I would rather save $50 and try to learn something new. I am just asking for help.

yes, you can switch the logic boards, but this don't help you (90%) ...

in case this can help you (damaged drive pcb of flash) - you can't fix it other way anyway :wink:

also, did you think this is forum of telepathists? we must guess what drive you have, what happen with drive, did you need info etc :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 11:16 

Rhael wrote:
, but I would rather save $50 and try to learn something new. I am just asking for help.

additional question: how much $$$ you earn at one hour? How much time you spend online to find all of this? It's common situation what people spend much more time (== money ;) ) trying fixing something themself

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 11:21 

Actually, if you would read instead of hurrying to make posts that arent helpful in any way, you would see I listed exactly what drive I have. I didnt list what happened to the drive because it was not necessary, I already know that the problem occured because my firmware is corrupt.

My question was where I could obtain a program that would allow me to repair the firmware using the files I have. That was the only thing I needed an answer to, not smartass remarks about throwing the drive away because I didnt have any experience. I would think my lack of experience was obvious from the fact that I was posting here asking for help.

Thanks to another forum that was actually interested in helping people, I got the software and instructions I needed and the drive is working just fine now.

I guess it didnt require as much experience as you thought. Perhaps in the future you should try to answer the questions that people ask in order to help them instead of making useless comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 11:49 

Just out of curiosity :), could You tell us what program You used to upload the firmware (ldr and ram files) to the drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 12:18 

Rhael wrote:
.... I got the software and instructions I needed and the drive is working just fine now.

Well done !!

Just a point - when you asked for some software to "flash" your Maxtor,
you actually got some very useful help. But you know that now.

Once again well done - took me a lot longer before I was able to fix my first Maxtor.
I still struggle with some, but that's just me !

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 12:56 

And will rhael share his new knowledge with other poor guys with defective Maxtor ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 13:50 

I would love to be helpful to others since that is what this forum is for. The best info I can give you is this link:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=2 ... 46b03deb31

I was able to piece together various people's instructions throughout the topic and it wasnt terribly hard.

As far as what software I used, a friend of mine from another forum had PC3000.

And no, the "help" I got about "flashing" my Maxtor firmware was not helpful. I wouldnt really consider it help, except to correct my poor use of the term flash. I knew what needed to done already and my incorrect usage of "flash" could have been explained in a much more civil way than telling me to throw the drive in the trash. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 13:55 

Hi, Rhael,

I am also interested in the software you got, could you please give it to me also?

thanx,
pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 15:35 

Rhael wrote:
I wouldnt really consider it help, except to correct my poor use of the term flash. I knew what needed to done already and my incorrect usage of "flash" could have been explained in a much more civil way....

If you are going to "REPAIR" f/w be careful not to pay too much
attention to the instructions at your link otherwise some of your DATA
might still end up in the trash can. :wink:

success !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 18:20 

Again again again again, see .... this what is about.
Took not only to you fujimax, took a long time for all of us.
This is what all things are about, is not hard to understand.
I know , I really know that here has no future, here has no clients, but I see bad things and bad things are like VIRUS, one day 10 and next day 100 next 1000 and suddenly, in our next door.
No more business in a few years. I'm old but has a lot of persons working in this job that are young, and they work hard they deserve a live, like everybody.
And I think that some of us are responsable. People just come here and do jokes with things that are not joke, not for you not a lot of us. Is a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 10:43 

Rhael:

I have the same experience with these guys before. I have high regard for Master Dmitry but not for these guys. They are so insecure about losing business by teaching others, thinking that we don't have the resourcefulness and brain to learn it by experiment and to ask help from other forums who are very much willing to help.

These guys don't understand how to stay ahead and remain in business with some competition around. Maybe they lack the scientific attitude to better and improve their own trade and stay ahead of competition.

Master Dmitry: You can delete my post if these guys are your own boys. Pardon me, but it is my own opinion that these guys are simply eroding the credibility of your own forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 11:12 

I have no «my guys» here, and my nicks are only «Dmitry_Postrigan» and «dp».

I agree that this forum is not ideal, but it just cannot be ideal.

I do not want to erase messages. I cannot change the forum by doing this. The only thing I can do is to start telling everybody how to repair drives, where to get cracked pc-3000 and so on. But I cannot do this, sorry. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 14:21 

ruelnov wrote:
Rhael:

I have the same experience with these guys before. I have high regard for Master Dmitry but not for these guys.

ruelnov :)

Write a script for MP 2.5 and sell it to me for say $500.00 with some instructions.

The next day you see all your instructions on this forum and the following day you find it on some chinese sites where the guys are selling your proggie for $50.00.

Try to imagine how you will feel and importantly tell me what you will write me when I ask you for the next program you have spent 90 days to get right.

Ignore the negative posts - these are part and parcel of any forum, read between the lines and try to build contacts via pm.

Over the years I have obtained a few valuable pieces of information and in each case they come with a caveat -
do not share this with anyone !
When this happens to you, in time, you will also respect this request.

Just how the game works and it starts with the manufacturers because they will give you zippo info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 21:31 

Master Dmitry & fujimax:

You're both speaking with wisdom and it all makes sense to me. Cheers!