All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: very slow copy on a Palmer drive
PostPosted: February 12th, 2023, 4:01 

Hi I have a Palmer drive that has very very slow image speed, with many unreadable sectors, But I dont if its weak head or bad surface, or maybe FW issue, is there any suggestion ?

Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-02-12 112753.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-12 112753.jpg [ 684.83 KiB | Viewed 1808 times ]

Attachments:
Rom.zip [1.27 MiB]
Downloaded 73 times

Post subject: Re: very slow copy on a Palmer drive
PostPosted: February 13th, 2023, 4:42 

Spildit wrote:

Sadly no, following with thread, I disable updating mod 190 and try fixing slow in Ram, but nothing changed, still very slow imaging like 8 sector in second!!! I only need 10GB data, but in this way it takes months to be imaged!!!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2023, 5:11 

Your main problem is a very high level of errors - the issue of slow reading (time) seems to be secondary....
In AV streams, with this level of errors, the file will not open for you - and if it does - you will have a mess (breaking synchronization, missing keyframes, etc...).

I do not know the history of this disk, but I know from experience that the surface that looks like this is the result of its destruction or damaged (dirty? decalibrated?) heads.
Or both (heads and surfaces)
I'm afraid - that your only chance of getting anything sense recovery is to replace the heads.

If you replace the heads, determine the optimal adaptives (47 rom) then you can try to play with limiting access to SA (TLER, work in RAM, etc) ...

In other site - if you continue to "tire" this disk - without replacing the heads, you will probably continue to irreparably damage the surface and heads..

PostPosted: February 13th, 2023, 11:54 

I imaged first file, its almost playable but with some freezing and etc so speed is my problem.
U see I could read all modules, and head tests of MRT says nothing about head problem. for this my guess is FW issue.
AND its not affordable to costumer for head swap, so Im gonna stick to imaging like this.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2023, 10:24 

You're wasting your time with original weak head(s) that could make these pattern as on your screenshoot. Firmware damage does not look like this.
If your custommer does not want invest money for HSA swap, then it's time consider give back the drive, because the estimate recovery rate without HSA swap is very low.