All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba MK1060GSC is any way to extract ATA user password?
PostPosted: September 26th, 2023, 6:25 

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding Toshiba MK1060GSC and kind interesting scenario as below.

The mentioned Toshiba drive is sitting inside my car navigation unit and unfortunately it is starting to give a signs to be faulty soon (is supper loud already and is starting to respond slower).
I was planing to clone it (till it is still working) on some new HDD or SSD drive but I hit the ATA user password issue.
Following the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/852402-replace-factory-nav-hard-drive-with-an-ssd-4.html instruction I'm able to bypass the ATA user password need but to make the navigation unit compatible again I need to set same ATA user password on the new drive. The bypass is working this way that navigation unit is "unlocking" the drive with user password and while keeping the drive power on you can attach the drive to PC.

So my question would stand like this. Is any way to extract the ATA user password while being "inside the drive"? Maybe some VICTORIA soft / MHDD command? Simple clone of the drive (to SSD) is not working so it would be a need to have 1:1 clone with ATA password included. On side question maybe it is also a way to just clone the drive fully so to keep data + ATA passwords (master + user) without any additional tricks?

Thx a lot for your feedback and responses. I would like to keep my navigation unit still operative :)

Best,
Igorows

Post subject: Re: Toshiba MK1060GSC is any way to extract ATA user passwor
PostPosted: September 26th, 2023, 19:08 

You will no doubt find that your satnav will apply a password to your replacement HDD without you needing to do anything.

Here is a trick you can use to read the password:

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=570
https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?p=23387#p23387

PostPosted: October 24th, 2023, 3:22 

Thx a lot for the response. After following your hints I was able to clone the drive! :)

Basically if someone would be interested to repeat it:
1) I have read about the fact that navigation unit is setting the ATA password on the new drive automatically after the first connection.
2) Following the point 1. fact I just bought new drive (same model) plus the SATA extension cables (bo be able to switch the data cable from the navi unit to laptop) and SATA usb 3.0 adapter (to be able to connect the drive to laptop)
3) I connected first the new drive to check if it would be locked with the ATA password (to verify the point 1 hypothesis), started the car ignition for a minute, turn it off.
4) I removed the new drive from navi and connect to laptop via SATA usb 3.0 adapter and indeed the drive was locked with ATA password :)
5) I connected the SATA extension cables to navi unit (watch out that is tricky as the hard drive bay is deep) to keep power and data input for the drive from navi unit.
6) I have connected the new drive again (this time via SATA extension cables) started the car ignition and after had heard that the new drive has started I switched the data cable from navi unit to laptop (via SATA usb 3.0 adapter data socket) and that made a trick - the nav unit unlock the ATA password already so I got access to the drive :)
7) With the smile on my face I repeated the 6 point action with old navi drive and got the full access to the old navi drive!
8.) I started to create the full drive image of the old navi drive with Macrium Reflect 8 software.
9) My car made me a surprise and the auto power safer feature disturbed the cloning ;/ To fix it I used the power input from the usb 3.0 adapter socket (connected to laptop) and connect only the data cable to the navi (via SATA extension cable).
10) This time full drive image creation has successfully finished
11) I have repeated same trick to unlock the new drive via navi (quick data cable connection switch after having the car ignition on) and restored the previously created image on the new drive.
12) I plugged the new drive to navi and (bang!) it started to work as an old drive - so the cloning procedure has finished successfully! ;)

*Note: I tried also with new SSD drive but it seams that it is to modern, so navi could not recognise it (and can't set the ATA password)

Thx once again for the hints and good luck for the next navi/drive cloning hero :)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2023, 16:27 

That's the way that US cops do it:

https://groups.google.com/g/datarecoverycertification/c/y8w78dmNFoo/m/15L-wKRUAQAJ