All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HDT721010SLA360 - where a problem might be
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2023, 17:04 

If the NVRAM edit doesn't work, you could try HDAT2. Launch it with the /w switch to ensure that any PUIS-enabled drives are woken up.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2023, 4:13 

Thank you for replies.
@michael chiklis
Before I try to use the edited NVRAM ( 2 FF bytes replaced with 00 - thank you for the file) I think I should tell you something more about the history of the drive.
The drive was originally in case/enclosure so that it could be used as an external hard drive. Because it stopped work I decided to test the hard drive itself first. ( And that history of that testing you already know - this thread). Is it possible to test that kind of drive separately so that the drive MUST be detected or a manufacturer can prevent that?
@fzabkar I am going to try HDAT2 later. Thanks for that hint.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2023, 4:58 

Yes, try first to force drive power up with HDAT2 as Frank said, if that doesn't help you might try my edited nvram.

Reporting FAQ from hdat2 website about PUIS
Code:
Q19: Hard disk does not spin up - PUIS (Power Up In Standby).
A19: The optional Power-Up In Standby (PUIS) feature set allows devices to be powered-up into the Standby power management state to minimize current at power-up and to allow the host to sequence the spin-up of devices.
This optional feature set may be enabled or disabled via the SET FEATURES command or may be enabled by use of a jumper, or both. When enabled by a jumper, this feature set shall not be disabled via the SET FEATURES command.

Once this feature is enabled in a device, the device shall not disable the feature as a result of processing a power-on reset, a hardware reset, or a software reset.

If the device implements this SET FEATURES subcommand and power-up into Standby is enabled, the device shall remain in Standby until the SET FEATURES subcommand is received.

If the device does not implement the SET FEATURES subcommand to spin-up the device after power-up and PUIS is enabled, the device shall spin-up upon receipt of the first command that requires the device to access the media, except the IDENTIFY DEVICE command or the IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE command.

Solution for HDAT2 program: if you have a hard disk with enabled PUIS (cannot spin up and BIOS cannot recognize this drive) run program with parameter /W Wake/Spin-up the drive:

HDAT2 /W

Without the parameter /W, when PUIS is detected on the disk, the program asks you to turn off PUIS.

List of parameters: HDAT2 /? or HDAT2 /h.