All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate ST3000524AS 7200.12 FW:JC47 1TB HDDSuperClone
PostPosted: November 13th, 2023, 18:36 

TLDR; Skip to end labeled TLDR

Ok, So, I have a Seagate ST3000524AS 7200.12 FW:JC47 1TB HDD that is not recognized by the BIOS and Windows said it had to be initialized (luckily it would not initialize because I did not know this was a destructive process). After doing some searching and deciding that the information was worth something to me but, not $350.00 - $4000.00, I started trying some things. I had already figured out that the drive will run and "work" for a few seconds. So, I tried MHDD and after multiple power cycles and just the correct timing I was able to get it to ID and scan it. It did show 74 "X UNC". After that I started to learn that the drive is happy to work as long as you do not give it ANY break. Imagine you ask an employee to put widgets in a large box. The employee will work for hours putting widgets in a box but as soon as the box is full, runs out of widgets, employee has to pee, or, a shiny object distracts the employee, he/she falls asleep or goes into a coma. Now you need to do multiple power cycles (<<defibrillator? ) and get the timing just right and he/she will work for an unlimited time again. So, I fiddled with the drive and HDDSuperClone. After trying to get it to work multiple time "Direct AHCI" I gave up and and tried "Passthrough auto detect" with default settings. Again, after multiple power cycles and just the correct timing, with my cursor hovering over the "Choose Source Drive" option I was able to get it to run. It ran all night and into the next day but, it worked wonders. I got 99.99260% "Finished" with 14464 (0.01GB) (161/0.000740%) "Bad".

Patient drive: Seagate ST3000524AS 7200.12 FW:JC47 1TB HDD
New Clone drive: Samsung MZ-77E1T0 870 EVO SATA 2.5" SSD
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Kernel: 5.4.0-166
HDDSuperClone 2.3.3_20220430
All connected via SATA
Patient drive in a "Hot Swap" bay with a power switch.

TLDR:
1: Can I still get the data from the 14464 (0.01GB) (161/0.000740%) "Bad"?
2: If I want to keep fiddling with this drive, can I change settings (within the same project (for example: change retries, switch to divide instead of trim, add/remove phases) and re-run right >>OVERTOP<< of the existing destination drive and not have the previously restored data overwritten?
3: Where do I find the progress log to post it here? Is it simply the saved project?
4: Is this even the correct forum to be asking such newbie questions?

Post subject: Re: Seagate ST3000524AS 7200.12 FW:JC47 1TB HDDSuperClone
PostPosted: November 13th, 2023, 19:21 

ddrutility is a tool which identifies those files which are related to bad sectors. If your bad sectors are in the free space or in OS files, then there may not be a need to recover them.

https://sourceforge.net/p/ddrutility/wiki/Home/

PostPosted: November 13th, 2023, 19:39 

When trying to copy the contents of the clone to a network drive, some data file I may need, throw up read errors. Of course they are the files with the most vague names like Scan16 etc... I will look into ddrutility. Anyone else for the other questions?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2023, 3:44 

fzabkar wrote:
ddrutility is a tool which identifies those files which are related to bad sectors. If your bad sectors are in the free space or in OS files, then there may not be a need to recover them.

https://sourceforge.net/p/ddrutility/wiki/Home/

Hi Franc! Your answer surprisingly answers several completely questions I had in the past few days:
While fixing hundreds of bugs in HDDSuperClone, I also found a lot of bugs in ddrutility which are shipped with HDDSuperClone, so I searched for ddrutility (which I had not heard before), and realized that it had also been developed by maximus, so I contacted him and asked whether he still maintains it, and he told me that he had stopped working on ddrutility when he started HDDSuperClone, and that I could take it over as well. My next question then was whether it would still be needed, whether it would still be useful after all those years. So since you are recommending it now, it's obviously still useful, so I will start taking it over and maintaining it.
Now I have a few more questions for you:
Should I move the ddrutility to a sub-directory of HDDSuperClone, so to have it as a part of HDDSuperClone? Or should I create a separate repository?

PostPosted: November 17th, 2023, 16:28 

sourcerer wrote:
Should I move the ddrutility to a sub-directory of HDDSuperClone, so to have it as a part of HDDSuperClone? Or should I create a separate repository?

It would be nice to combine the two tools. Thanks for your interest.

Just be aware that ddrescue users rely on this tool as well.