All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Every Hard Drive manufactured for a specific purpose
PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 13:18 

Hello Amarbir you asked a question "Every drive thats pata and sata can be used in casing" Yes you can use, but you will not get performance, and it is more likely die before age.

If you don't know, some links to choose the best match:

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-ex ... ard-drives

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/bes ... or-gaming/

I am using gaming hard drive on my PC work fine, but not for what it is exactly design for.

Another example on CCTV normal hard drive work but if you install surveillance hard drive, the performance and life will be double.

Post subject: Re: Every Hard Drive manufactured for a specific purpose
PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 13:36 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/western-digital-is-trying-to-redefine-the-word-rpm/

Ars Technica wrote:
But the new complaint is that Western Digital calls 7200RPM drives "5400 RPM Class"—and the drives' own firmware report 5400 RPM via the SMART interface (sic).

WD wrote:
For select products, Western Digital has published RPM speed within a “class” or “performance class” for numerous years rather than publishing specific spindle speeds. We also fine-tune select hard drive platforms and the related HDD characteristics to create several different variations of such platforms to meet different market or application needs. By doing so, we are able to leverage our economies of scale and pass along those savings to our customers. As with every Western Digital product, our product details, which include power, acoustics and performance (data transfer rate), are tested to meet the specifications provided on the product’s data sheet and marketing collateral.

To me, this suggests that WD designs one basic model and then tweaks/cripples the firmware to create artificial performance classes.

Post subject: Re: Every Hard Drive manufactured for a specific purpose
PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 9:27 

Yes and I have found WD only modified PCB and Firmware, of same model. To create version like Blue, Green, and Purple.