Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Seeking Advice on Data Recovery for Clicking Seagate Barracu

January 9th, 2024, 10:10

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I've come across a significant problem with my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drive and could really use some guidance and advice from the community.

Here's what happened:

I was using this drive as an external storage solution for a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem, which contained a substantial amount of important data, including pictures, movies, music, text documents, zip/rar archives, and Microsoft Office files. The drive had approximately 200-300GB of data stored on it.

The problem started when the drive began making clicking sounds and subsequently went into standby mode. I attempted to connect it via an external USB enclosure, but unfortunately, the clicking sounds persisted, and the USB connection failed to recognize the drive.

Here are the drive details:

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare
Serial Number (S/N): 9VS20LJJ
Part Number (P/N): 9JU138-302
I decided to seek professional assistance and sent the drive to a data recovery service. Their response was not very encouraging as they informed me that the drive had scratches on the top platter. They even provided pictures showing a circle scratch and a dusted air filter.

Given these circumstances, I am now wondering if there's any chance at all of recovering the data from this drive. I understand that the scratches on the platter might have caused damage, but I am hoping that some of the data can still be retrieved.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation or can offer advice on whether there might be a way to salvage the data from this drive despite the scratches? I would greatly appreciate any insights, suggestions, or recommendations that the community can provide.

Thank you all in advance for your help and support.

Best regards,
Attachments
2017-01-13_11-17-29-PM.jpg
2017-01-13_11-15-35-PM.jpg
2017-01-13_11-15-33-PM.jpg

Re: Seeking Advice on Data Recovery for Clicking Seagate Bar

January 11th, 2024, 21:12

It should be recoverable at least partially. Done many similar cases.
Post a reply