All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: External Hard Drive Data Recovery
PostPosted: February 16th, 2024, 17:08 

Hi,

I have an external 2TB WD Passport Drive - the model is a WDBYFT0020BBK-0B

It has suddenly stopped working in that the drive label is not showing up in Windows Explorer. However, in device manager it lists the device and the read\write light comes on in device. I have tried numerous youtube guides on finding the drive letter but they do not work and one process listed drive with a Fatal error. I also do not hear the disks spinning so perhaps motor is packed in.

So, my question hopefully someone can please assist with is - how can I access the data to recover it and just scrap the hard drive?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: External Hard Drive Data Recovery
PostPosted: February 16th, 2024, 18:15 

Jarfa wrote:
I also do not hear the disks spinning so perhaps motor is packed in.
Unlikely - check the obvious like swapping the usb cable, try a different usb port and a different machine. If it's still not spinning take the plastic case off, remove the PCB and post a high resolution image of the board. I think I remember these have a 0 ohm resistor near the usb connector that's prone to having a dry joint.

No spin and dead is better for you than spinning and dead.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2024, 19:00 

Quote:
check the obvious like swapping the usb cable, try a different usb port and a different machine

Already tried different USB ports, different cable and different machine - so definitely the drive is some manner. I will try and remove the PCB and post a picture

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2024, 10:21 

connect power and go close to drive and hear sound, i suspect head stuck case drive must have fell down or got hit while working.

https://lifeguarddatarecovery.com

PostPosted: February 24th, 2024, 7:01 

lifeguarddubai wrote:
connect power and go close to drive and hear sound, i suspect head stuck case drive must have fell down or got hit while working.

Thanks for response.

I found a number of youTubers had advised opening up the drive and checking the read heads were stuck on the disk because this seemed to ne a common thing. I am aware this actually ruins the drive going forward but as long as I can recover most of the contents I am fine with that. I opened drive and indeed the read heads were stuck in middle of disks. I followed youTubers to return the read heads to home. I closed HDD again and then tried HDD in USB port. It now sounds like it is spinning up but now makes a clicking sound which is common also in these drives. I used VictoriaHDD and the drive is shown and if I click on S.M.A.R.T and then click on Get Smart all the values are ZERO. What do I do now please?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2024, 7:02 

Lardman wrote:
Jarfa wrote:
Unlikely - check the obvious like swapping the usb cable, try a different usb port and a different machine. If it's still not spinning take the plastic case off, remove the PCB and post a high resolution image of the board. I think I remember these have a 0 ohm resistor near the usb connector that's prone to having a dry joint.

I found a number of youTubers had advised opening up the drive and checking the read heads were stuck on the disk because this seemed to ne a common thing. I am aware this actually ruins the drive going forward but as long as I can recover most of the contents I am fine with that. I opened drive and indeed the read heads were stuck in middle of disks. I followed youTubers to return the read heads to home. I closed HDD again and then tried HDD in USB port. It now sounds like it is spinning up but now makes a clicking sound which is common also in these drives. I used VictoriaHDD and the drive is shown and if I click on S.M.A.R.T and then click on Get Smart all the values are ZERO. What do I do now please?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2024, 7:16 

Well that wasn't a very good idea. Youtube, in general is absolute death for drives, I'm betting it was DIYperks you probably watched, that's responsible for killing so many drives it's no longer funny.

You've probably trashed the heads and scratched the platters not to mention the general contamination. There won't be a DIY fix and the cost for professional recovery just doubled as you're now going to be hit with an open drive fee.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2024, 0:36 

Jarfa wrote:
Lardman wrote:
Jarfa wrote:

if data is important - I would strongly suggest to go to DR pro. If it is not please make video how drive is clicking and what you see in victoria