All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD1600JB - data recovery
PostPosted: March 8th, 2024, 9:00 

Hello.

I have a WD1600JB-00REA0 160GB hard drive.

The hard drive was used with an external pocket. One day the disk was no longer detected by the system. An attempt was made to connect the hard drive to the computer without a pocket, but the hard drive did not react in any way, i.e. it just wouldn't turn on. The fuse on the hard drive board (2060-701292-001 REV A) was broken. I purchased exactly the same board and re-soldered the U12 chip (unsoldered it from the old board and soldered it onto the new board). The result is that the hard drive turns on, but makes the sound (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vg1Bofx_UBIEC2EULktvZY5cuiYtskgP/view?usp=sharing) of a beating head and turns off. The disk is not detected in the system. Is there a chance to revive the disk and save the data? I also attach a dump from the chip U12 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ouvvPb704lRIZbGmrB1AjW5ugWVGNND6/view?usp=sharing). Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Attachments:
wd1600jb.jpg
wd1600jb.jpg [ 543.34 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

Post subject: Re: WD1600JB - data recovery
PostPosted: March 8th, 2024, 10:14 

these pcbs were famous coz of failure of the -5V regulator (feedback path) in a very inconvenient way: it supplied beyond -20V to the preamp, which usually could not resist and busted, but before this happened, it erased some amount of the data surface.
Now yours sounds a bit different, as you say the native pcb does not even spin the drive? Which fuse is broken on the patient board?
It is also possible that your donor board has the mentioned feedback problem, i would check the -5V supply with a multimeter without HDA. It is one of pins 1,2 or 4, these are the supply lines, one of them is GND, one is 5V and the third is -5V.

pepe