All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HGST HUH721212ALE601 12TB not recognised
PostPosted: April 10th, 2024, 11:50 

Hello everyone!

I recently got a basically free HDD that was listed as untested.

The drive spins up and it's clear the heads move and read something. It doesn't show up in BIOS on my desktop PC, but it is visible after several seconds in the Device Manager but after like a minute or two it disappears.

My question is whether the drive can be saved for usage? I don't plan on keeping sensitive and/or unretrievable data on it. I have good soldering skills, I own a hot air rework station and precise soldering irons with thin tips. I would prefer to keep potential costs od DIYing the fix to a minimum. I plan to otherwise sell it as a donor for someone, stating it's most likely dead ofc. But if I can fix it it would be cool.

Key data:

-Drive is branded as Dell EMC DC HC520
-it identifies in Device Manager as HGST HUH721212ALE600 which is also printed on the drives label
-P/N: 0F29595
-Tested on SATA connection on Windows 10 (not visible in BIOS) - Desktop PC
-Tested on SATA to USB 2.0 HDD dock on Windows 11 (doesn't show right away, only shows after about 30 seconds for 1-2 minutes then disappears) - Laptop PC
-Drive does make some healthy sounding read/write noises. After a few minutes after disappearing from DM it spins down and stays quiet.
-Tried HUGO but it doesn't see the drive even when it's visible in DM.
-wdckit doesn't see the drive although when it is visible in DM, wdckit hangs for a minute or two and then when it disappears from DM, it unfreezes only lists the working OS drive of the PC. Seems like it does kind of recognize it or tries to.
-The drive has the PIN 3 on power plug missing. Dunno if it actually needs it removed or not. My HDD dock is an old unit, similarly the PSU in my desktop (it's known good/healthy).