All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover ATA password to re-use on new drive
PostPosted: April 20th, 2024, 18:15 

I am attempting to replace the HDD in the navigation/audio unit of my car. I am able to interface with the existing drive by letting the system boot then swapping the SATA data cable to my laptop. I was able to image the drive using ddrescue and restore the image to a SATA SSD. The navigation unit can read the SSD just fine. If I let the system boot and "unlock" the original HDD, then hot swap to the SSD, it continues to function fine and I can perform actions that require reading data from disk.

My hope was that the system would recognize that the *new* drive is not locked and lock it (as I heard some units will do this), but it does not seem to do that. I think what happens is in the startup process it tries to unlock it, which of course fails because it's not locked, and then it just gives up and says it can't access the drive. This is my theory anyway.

Is there any way to then read the ATA password from the drive once it's unlocked? If it helps any, the drive is a Toshiba Toshiba MK1060GSC.