All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raid drive serial change
PostPosted: May 28th, 2024, 23:38 

I'd appreciate anyone who can help, but I'm not too hopeful:

I have a raid system (Drobo) & while I was at work, I got a lot of notices about a drive having failed...not normal as the drive should have failed & have been done with it. When I got home, I realized I was the cause of the problem...I moved the RAID the day prior & started it up this morning but in the process of moving it, one drive was not fully secure. I fully secured the drive but the RAID reported the drive as fully failed. I removed it & put it in a computer to pull the smart status and found it was just fine so after a little research, I found that the RAID will record the drive's serial number internally & prevent it from being added to the unit as a precautionary measure. The drive is pretty new, the SMART report showed it good, & logs in the RAID showed that there was a lot of connections & removals today. So I have a few measures to fix this:

1) Change the serial by one digit so the RAID allows it to reconnect & determine if the disk actually failed or if it was a seating issue.
2) Factory reset the RAID, wipe all stored data (along with every drive)...not an option I want to take
3) Warranty it with the company I bought it from. If I'm right & the drive is fine...this wouldn't be ethical. There is a very small chance that the RAID did detect some other failure that SMART doesn't show so I can justify it that way...but I'd rather not.

I'd appreciate any help, but if not, I'm already looking at option number 3.