All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie - I am really impressed & want to learn more
PostPosted: April 19th, 2005, 22:30 

Hi all-

I was putzing around on the net and happened across MHDD. Wow! I am currently working on starting a charity that recycles computers and hands them off to people in need... Schools, orphanages and even hospitals. The stuff we throw out in the US is treasure in some counties.

Anyways I only started using MHDD and my time invested in testing drives has gone way down and my recovery rate has gone way up... And I have no real idea what I am doing. I have been reading some of your posts and am in way over my head. Any tricks and tips you'd like to send my way would be appreciated. I find this fascinating - and it is for a good cause.

Thanks. I know you can't hold my hand, just point me in a direction to run in and I will nose around see what I can dig up.

BTW - I am absolutely shocked at the stuff people throw out. Good machines that are cake to fix and then all their info is on the harddrive. Scary!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2005, 15:56 
Ok, so you learn something ?, good for you.

Last edited by Jose Pinto on April 28th, 2005, 8:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2005, 1:50 

Hi Jose Pinto

Yes... I read the manual... Twice in fact. I also think I will have to read it a couple of more times for it to "sink in". Some parts of it are rather high level and require previous knowlege I currently lack. I was very tickled with the russian flavored accent the whole thing had - but it did make comprehension more difficult. I am a computer techie - A pretty good one in fact. That said I had no idea there was so much to a hard drive. Given the experience I had lately I am fairly sure I have tossed out a good drive here and there. Before I came across this software they were pretty much magic boxes ... Not alot you could do with them when they screwed up, besides bury them. If you opened one up it was ruined, so I lacked a way to poke and prod at them. Products Promising to fix stuff usually burned your wallet and your watch with little results.

Beyond reading the manual I read severial of the forums' post looking for tricks. Judging from most of the of the authors post there are two types of people here. Newbies and serious experts - Very little in between. I see hints of anamosity between the groups sometimes. One group envies the other's closely guarded secrets, perhaps?

the Author Dmitry is to be gradulated on a excellent product... Very well thought out. I have used very expensive disk duplicators and I have to think the little test box I built with his software works faster with better results. It has been mentioned that people want a push button solution - my experience shows those just don't work. Experience is the best teacher, I know that. I have already logged severial hours into using mhdd. I have been listening and watching the process in regards to a good drive versus a bad drive... Developing that same intuition I have with computers in general with hard-drives specificly.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not looking for a magic pill that will make me the master of MHDD. Nor am I disrespecting you or angry with you for questioning my intent. Jose, you are the only one who replied to this post. THANK YOU. Any bone you toss my way I am going to gnaw on it and be thank for it. I am hungry for the knowledge.

Kind regards-
Snuggie aka Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2005, 3:52 
Hi,
I hope you can solve your problems
Jose Pinto

Last edited by Jose Pinto on April 28th, 2005, 8:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2005, 11:36 

Hi Jose

Thanks for the reply and the links. I will check them out.

I think communicating using text is rough - Very flat and emotionless, especially if you never met. That and the fact that many languages are used here make communication difficult. I never thought you were angry - just wanted to make sure you knew that I was willing to do some work in order to learn. People often ask for something and then find out that work is involved and drop it or try to get the other person to do it. That is not the case here.

BTW - I see the need to create a quick troubleshooting guide and where to go for help section in the FAQ. These two links should be in there. I will create something if I can find enough info to warrent it. BTW - I am not complaining - I can't believe Dmitry doesn't charge for his software - Just that I am doing the work and research anyway might as well do something with it.

-Snuggie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2005, 14:39 
If you start to come here often you wil have the oportunity to see many things here. About language, is true, this supose to be an english speaker forum but we can see here many "languages" or many "trys" to write something that make sense. Sometimes is scary, they would like to ask or to say one thing and when they finishes uau is a tragedy. We supose to say "could be comic if where not tragic".
But I see that you have great fluence in english, good for you!!!
and I said this because seams to me that you are not american or english, m'I wrong ?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2005, 4:07 

Hay Jose!

Nope. I am an american... not your typical one but american still. I am dyslexic and it really shows up in my writing. I can think faster then I can write or type... And when I proof read my work I often miss stuff, especially when I am excited or thinking hard. I am a prolific reader and want to be a writer (working on a book 'bout communication) so it hasn't caused me any real harm... I will just have to hire a editor *smirk*

I haven't had time to play with MHDD, or try the utils you suggested.
Just wanted to say hi and thanks.

BTW - OPEN OFFER TO ALL - I was reading an article that said you guys would often pull parts from other drives and keep stock of popular drives. If you let me know what you need and cover shipping I will see what I can do. Just let me know what models to keep an eye out for.... And if I can pull the part even better. I can't pass out live drives - but if it dead and you can use it - that is something else. We have a liability issue we have to resolve before I can let go of drives (platters!) but we are working on it. Whole drive means intact data hence the liability. I have to figure out a secure way of destroying the data on the media before we reuse it. my buddy, Roger is scared that anything short of shredding the drive is not secure. I thought to use a high powered magnet - but then I read that typically destroys the drive rendering it inoperable. It might be more hassle then it is worth unless the drive is really rare - You guys probably have local sources. Still, I will throw it out there.

-Snuggie aka Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2005, 8:05 
Thank you very much for your offer.
Maybe you can tell me where are you ?, I will be at Texas ( to see relatives ) soon.
Regards
Jose Pinto

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 4:01 

Jose!

Texas?!!? Ick! You SHOULD come see me *Smirk*

I am in the great state of Colorado. Closer to Texas then Brasil... But it would still be a loooong walk I am afraid. I always wanted to see south america maybe I should come see you instead! That said should you receive a package from here in the states - Open it quickly as I will be really hungry!

-Snuggie

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 5:26 
Snuggie,
You will be welcome any time that you want to come to my place.
Is not a great city but the sun shines everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 13:46 

There is no "not a great" city. Every city is GREAT! :)