All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuj mpg3102at (anormal?? problem) - can a problem be normal?
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 2:20 
I have fujitsu mpg3102at that has the normal spin (with no strange sound) and no detection problem. The anormal issue this time is that when i enter the correct utility in pc3k or try to do firmware diagnostic in pchdd the programs hangs (hdd seems to never become in ready state)

I have tested the logic board with another hdd and it seems to be in fine condition? Any sugestions,

Best regards,

-=BR=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 6:53 

-=BR=- wrote:
I have fujitsu mpg3102at that has the normal spin (with no strange sound) and no detection problem. The anormal issue this time is that when i enter the correct utility in pc3k or try to do firmware diagnostic in pchdd the programs hangs (hdd seems to never become in ready state)

I have tested the logic board with another hdd and it seems to be in fine condition? Any sugestions,

Best regards,

-=BR=-
Only one thing coming to my head - wrong jumpers (should be Master).

Post subject: Re: Fuj mpg3102at (anormal?? problem) - can a problem be nor
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 7:16 

-=BR=- wrote:
The anormal issue this time is that when i enter the correct utility in pc3k -=BR=-

I assume you have taken suggestion from Dmitry and maybe still have a problem...... if solved ignore my questions.

Which is lit in status register :

probably these three : BSY - DRDY - DSC ??

Also how does MPG3102AT PCB work on another drive -
does it complete all F/W reading correctly ?.

Post subject: Re: Fuj mpg3102at (anormal?? problem) - can a problem be nor
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 11:44 

-=BR=- wrote:

situation 1: trouble with board/cable
damaged hdd pcb or cable can give various strange effect, such hdd allways busy, work with pc3k board, but not work with motherboard ide and so on

solution simple: try another pcb (with same pcb revision) and ide cable
also try perform test in "kernel" mode ( "kernel" mode uses more less resoures, so it can't give full answer about pcb health )

situation 2: trouble with hda/fw
in some cases hdd won't get ready or don't clear bsy very long time....

solution : you need test hda in "safe" mode (note if you have 1 head hdd with starting head 1, such drive can't be switched in safe mode without changes in flash rom)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 22:30 
I tried pcb exchange (the pcb of this non-working hda in another working) and tested with mhdd scan - all sectors ok. I noticed that when i power on the hdd, all status leds but one have gone green (in pchdd) - i am not in my office right now, sorry, but for sure BSY was green all the time ...

The strange thing: (can someone explain this?)

I started pchdd normally. When i start firmware diagnostic, program seems to hang (not true). I power off hdd WITHOUT disconecting ide cable and *amazes me*, then the firmware start to be VERY SLOWLY READ (one module per power on/off) and to get better, all firmware modules were OK (by means of pchdd diagnostic).

I think that now i "killed" the hdd because it no longer reads any module at all *as i tried powering on/off many times), but if such case happens again, are there other things that i could have tried to do?

Regards,

-=BR=-

To vi:
(yeah, that old name was too jerk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2004, 2:21 

-=BR=- wrote:
... I started pchdd normally. .... "killed" the hdd .....

It can do this .... :(

The drive that is. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2004, 4:47 

-=BR=- wrote:
I tried pcb exchange (the pcb of this non-working hda in another working) and tested with mhdd scan - all sectors ok. I noticed that when i power on the hdd, all status leds but one have gone green (in pchdd) - i am not in my office right now, sorry, but for sure BSY was green all the time ...

The strange thing: (can someone explain this?)

I started pchdd normally. When i start firmware diagnostic, program seems to hang (not true). I power off hdd WITHOUT disconecting ide cable and *amazes me*, then the firmware start to be VERY SLOWLY READ (one module per power on/off) and to get better, all firmware modules were OK (by means of pchdd diagnostic).

I think that now i "killed" the hdd because it no longer reads any module at all *as i tried powering on/off many times), but if such case happens again, are there other things that i could have tried to do?

Well, look like you have problem with HDA. If _all_ modules have too slow read speed, this can say as what we have trouble with head assembly / voice coil.

look like you need open HDA to check voice coil, sometimes voice coil clue bad and coil conductor unstuck.

also you my have trouble with "external stw data" if someone try to fix it before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2004, 1:17 

Hi
What is and How put that HDD in "Safe Mode"?
thx