All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IDE/ATA HDD insertable test device info needed
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 11:28 

I am looking for a resource for a device that I can simply plug in an IDE/ATA drive and have it be connectable to my CPU without having to either use an enclosure or open the computer chassis to jack into the ribbon. Ideally, I want something that I could use that works like an old 8-track music cartridge [showing my age]. This would be for temporarily testing a device rather than for actual longterm use.

thx - Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 14:05 

Use a external drive box ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 16:02 

A simple external drive box.... you can find ATA and SERIAL ATA boxes that coul fit in a 5"1/4 bay on your PC, you put the drive into the removable part of the box , slide in , lock and you're ready .
BTW.... taiwan-quality boxes available at about 10-12 $ (10-15 EUR) are not intended for intensive use, after about 50-80 mating cycles the contacts go out of order , and the ribbon cable for the HDD even before... but it is not a problem, as the cost is so low , in case of defect throw away THE FULL removable box and replace with a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2006, 11:08 

Hi,

this is a very environment frendly solution :)

Post subject: Cheap test bed.
PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 16:43 

The test bed is made from Compaq DeskPro PIII and an Adaptec 2940U.#1 is a 68 Pin SCSI cable and #2 is an IDE cable. #3 is 68 Pin to 80 Pin converter and #4 is IDE to Laptop IDE converter #5 is extended power plug. This will let you test 68/80 Pin SCSI's and desktop and laptop IDE drives. Make sure you use MHDD seems to be the best for all. No internal HDD or CD. Install SCSI controller and loop 68 Pin cable out the back. Install IDE cable and loop out threw front bay. Install extended power threw same bay. Attach converter when needed. Boot from MHDD floppy and your in business. Total cost less than $100.00 US.