All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 90% of drive failures occur in Russia
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 9:32 

Based on statistics of drive repair forums it seems that over 80% of drive failures occur in Russia.

Are the manufacturers dumping bad drives in Russia ??

Do russians treat their drives badly ??

It seems as if drives don't fail in the US at all - no forums there !

Seems like China is the new target of cheap and nasty drives, but who wants to translate chinese to get the true picture -
I mean a working drive is "a good clean crystal spring functioning dogfish where the water runs freely on the happy eighty flat plateaus"

Maybe there are some other reasons, I mean americans do talk about their problems - I know. And more importantly they do talk about their successes.

Maybe the english have all the solutions and don't want to talk about them for fear of losing business to some person who can do their GBP900.00 job for US20.00.

The world is not a village unless you are russian

Last edited by fujimax on July 23rd, 2004, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 20:57 

Most of us are lazy and not willing to spend the time to learn. Why try to repair a drive when you can go buy one that is twice as big, for half as much as what you paid for the dead one? I say there are to types of drives, those that have crashed and those that are going to. The only time some needs a drive fixed is for data recovery,and then companies like Ontrack charge so much that it scares normal end-users away. I just quoted a guy $700 usd to get a 20g drive recovered. The drive was dead,
no spinup and not seen by bios. It was a maxtor 20g 92041u4 and I tried swapping the controller board with one off a 13g drive, the controllers (mil,tnt v+3) were the same except for a sticker on the dsp chip. (firmware?) The drive would then spin up,and heads would initialize. Bios would see the drive as a 20g, but would give a drive failed error. I could not copy anything off with any programs I tried. It seems that hard drive repair is a secret society. I have been working on computers for over fifteen years, and was originally hired to do component repairs of floppy drives and head alignments. I have just started to study hard drive and data recovery again. I would like to thank people for sharing info on this forum. Beer-man

ps need more english posts...

Post subject: Re: 90% of drive failures occur in Russia
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 9:38 
deleted

Last edited by Guest on June 8th, 2005, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 90% of drive failures occur in Russia
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 15:05 

Diogen wrote:
fujimax wrote:
Based on statistics of drive repair forums it seems that over 80% of drive failures occur in Russia.

I dont understand - is it insult or occasion to fight?

No, no insult and no fight at all. :)

The main point is "based on drive repair forums".

There are no forums in english for drive repair - here is the fight, if any.

I think it is great that there are so many Russian forums and I am very thankful for the information that is shared and written. Keep it up.

I point out that it is such a pity that western countries cannot write and share technology on forums as in Russia.

It is just very interesting with failures obviously the same everywhere - but so little is written in english and so much in russian. There must be a difference in attitude and I do not support the attitude of the few english forums on this topic - maybe they are lazy, maybe they are greedy, maybe they just want to protect their knowledge - they do say : knowledge is power and power is money and money is more power and more power can buy more knowledge and then poooooof :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 20:02 
who post that statistic?