All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with Maxtor
PostPosted: November 26th, 2006, 15:51 

Hi everyone,

My Hard Drive has a lot of damaged sectors and I have tried many repair software (HDD Regenerator, Spin Rite, MHDD...). When I use MHDD the two first steps (erase, scan+erase waits) complete succesful, but when I start with the 3rd (scan+remap) it goes extremely slow. I have calculated the total time required to do this operation and it would need 9 years!!! The same problem happens when I try Spin Rite. Would be possible that my hard drive is using PIO instead of DMA access mode? I have thought about this possibility but I don't know how to configure this parameter in the BIOS (I have Award BIOS) because I have got no operating system like windows to enable this parameter. I'm not interested in recovering the data because I've already low level formatted the disk. My hard drive is a Maxtor Diamond Max VL 40 with 40 GB capacity.

I would appreciate any kind of help,

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2006, 12:10 

Even if you do manage to repair the disk it is likely to fail soon anytime and I would not recommend storing any data on this drive.

The best thing you can do is buy a new hard drive, they are cheap enough these days.