PostPosted: August 19th, 2007, 23:37 

I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD. Here are some of the facts:
Code: YAR41VW0
K, G, C, D
6Y080L0030413
on the PCB there is a sticker with D6FYA
on the board 301599100
CALYPSOIII

My drive would not even make a sound when plugged in. So I knew it was dead. I purchased a similar drive, but this was before I knew the details such as matching codes and such. So that didn't work (it was YAR41BW0). It just caused a clicking with a red light on my USB adapter.

So I looked around and found a PCB just like mine, all the same chips on the board, and with a sticker on the back showing D6FYA. I attached it and the drive would spin up and sound like it was about to work just fine and then a clicking sound would start. It has a slight high pitch beep when it is seeking in one direction. The arm inside moves back and forth between the middle of the platters to the inside with it making the beep going, I believe, toward the inside. I cannot get the drive to be recognized with either the USB adapter or connected to the motherboard. It will simply hang in the BIOS.

I've heard that the firmware needs to match, but how do I find out? Is there any hope for recovering the data? Since it just hangs at boot up, am I out of luck using software diagnostics?

There is someone on ebay that will load the firmware from my old dead PCB to a new one. But I don't want to spend even more money trying to fix it only to find out that the firmware doesn't fix the problem, or that I already have the correct firmware.

Post subject: Re: Need help with my Maxtor disk
PostPosted: August 20th, 2007, 4:29 

It's quite difficult to make some real diagnosis without the proper tools.
It's complicated to give you a straight answer about your drive problem, it can be that pcb is not compatible, heads are damaged or something else.

Post subject: Re: Need help with my Maxtor disk
PostPosted: August 21st, 2007, 12:06 

Hi,

in case there are serial flash ROMs on the PCBs (U401), U can try swapping them which will ensure full PCB compatibility. If this doesn't help, U probably have a faulty preamp inside the HDA because of a high voltage surge on the 5V line that rendered the old board unusable too.

regards,
pepe