All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble with MBR write protection, please help!
PostPosted: September 10th, 2007, 11:26 

Ok folks I have a rather unique issue. I have a drive that go back is/was installed on before this repair. Note I said "is/was"! GOback has been un-installed many times all which "seemed" successful. As in no error messages at all in the process of the uninstall. As you may be aware, goback takes the control of the mbr (more like hostage in my case) and does not allow writing to it. I have tried all ways to remove the write protection with no luck or changes at all. For instance, I used the gb_prog /u which when go back has been damaged, "should" in theory remove the control of the mbr. Its claims its has successfully un-installed, then you reboot and its back active again. I have a fairly good knowledge of circumventing issues like this b4, but non to this degree. I have attempted PTedit to change the partition type, Maxtor's low level format util, pqmagic delete of the "type44" partition, even a reformat on the Apple Mac side using Disk Utility. I even had a friend write some code on the assembly level to gain access to the mbr to wipe it with no luck. Please post some thoughts on this matter as it is very frustrating not being able to get this done. All I want to do is nuke everything on the drive, and start from scratch. I want to wipe everything by absolutely any means necessary that wont damage the drive itself. Once i gain the access I need then I will do the standard of writing zeros, testing and preparing the drive for usage. Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Xavien
Sr Network Administrator

Post subject: Re: Trouble with MBR write protection, please help!
PostPosted: September 12th, 2007, 8:31 

Use MHDD by using command CLEARMBR

PostPosted: September 12th, 2007, 8:44 

I'll give that a try and post the results thanks for the assistance. Do you feel that will circumvent the write protection that GoBack has put upon it?

PostPosted: September 13th, 2007, 9:53 

Ok tried MHDD, the command as I saw it was "clrmbr", not "clearmbr". Either way I attempted both commands, the first gave me a catastrophic error message claiming possible defect in the hard drive. It has been confirmed by 3 utilities that it is not defective! So i assume its inability to again write to the drive and bypass the write protection leads it to believe its defective. The second command just went back to a prompt with no confirmation of anything. Anyone with some suggestions, because there has to be some way to get around this. It would be hard to believe that once a mbr is write protected it cannot be un- protected. Can someone present a work around please?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 9:16 

under MHDD, does the "HPA" code (above, right at MHDD main screen) is blinking ? or is there any error message stating about passworded drive ?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 10:10 

I will check that, thanks for the post, will get back to u later today.