All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
 Post subject: Re: Unlocking ATA Password for Western Digital
PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 19:45 

What are you trying to do ????

This thread is about ATA passwords .... Whatever you are trying to do doesn't have anything to do with standard ATA password, correct ?

Why did you dump the eeprom ? Did you lost smartware encryption password or something like that ? Again this thread is about ATA password and NOT about cracking encryption.

Check here instead ! - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35048

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 8:35 

Can anybody suggest some cheap WD drive that stores USER password in "plain text" that is easy to pull with free software without any professional-ish hardware ?
I just have board that locked hd204ui samsung drive and toshiba DT01ATA300 drives with user passwords. Passwords that I don't know.
People said that there is no easy way to unlock toshiba one even with full erase and data loss. But maybe there is another way.
I want to let board "protect" another drive .... this time drive that is easy to get password from..... to get password for other drives.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 16:17 

PaleDweller wrote:
Can anybody suggest some cheap WD drive that stores USER password in "plain text" that is easy to pull with free software without any professional-ish hardware ?
I just have board that locked hd204ui samsung drive and toshiba DT01ATA300 drives with user passwords. Passwords that I don't know.
People said that there is no easy way to unlock toshiba one even with full erase and data loss. But maybe there is another way.
I want to let board "protect" another drive .... this time drive that is easy to get password from..... to get password for other drives.

1 - Use ANY IDE or SATA WD drive that doesn't have any sort of self-encryption. Just don't a drive with USB only PCB. Make sure you have a NATIVE WD drive and not for example a HGST re-branded as WD. If you go for older models you will have full access to SA even with locked drive and you will not need to read password from RAM. Don't use drives locked to DVR devices as well as it might make things harder. Read here :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2353

2 - Get something like WDMarvel DEMO for free and you should be able to edit config in RAM and SA and see the passwords. For very old WDC MCU based drives you can use MHDD scripts, etc ...

3 - As far as i know all WD drives will store the ATA password in plain text unless of course the device setting the password do store something like password in hex code that can't be read in ASCI. You can still send that password as file using something like Victoria :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=1072

4 - Both Samsung and Toshiba are VERY EASY to unlock without data loss. Toshiba in general can be unlocked either by a VSC that re-creates the security module, by a VSC that allows for password of a locked drive to be changed or even by writting a new "S" module by PBA. In your case your "Toshiba" is in fact one HGST re-branded to Toshiba and can be unlocked without data loss by changing NVram and replacing security module with one of unlocked drive.

I do have a service to unlock those drives here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATA-Password-U ... 2674077475

- Or you can send the drive to a reputable data recovery firm .... As long as you are willing to pay you will end up with unlocked drive...

5 - Your idea is good. Just let the board protect one WD and read the password out of it. Read my posted guide and you will know how to do it for free. Use the same password to unlock the other drives.

Regards and good luck.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 16:55 

Spildit, thanks for reply! But sadly idea of using another drive totally failed for me. Last time that motherboard did not even let me use toshiba drive for 1 day for 1 time... it randomly password-protected samsung drives after crash / drop of electricity while i was not watching. But not now. I tried all ports... tried reseting and turning off and turning power off. Tried to save some setting in bios like setting time and such stuff. Its not protecting wd drive that i bought specifically to lock to read password.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 17:16 

Well, you can still unlock Toshiba (or Toshiba/HGST) and Samsung drives ...

:D

PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 18:33 

I have no software tool for samsung. And I don't have hardware tools to unsolder and reprogram memory of toshiba drive.
I'm just out of luck this time. Anyway thanks for reply.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 14:48 

You can get away with SHT DEMO for Samsung and some VSCs to write modules back or even free ZOC script ...

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=875

For HGST/IBM based you can buy a $350 SeDiv or play with HRT DEMO and some known VSCs....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49