All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ST3500320AS reports its size as 0GB
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 21:09 

Doomer with your arrogant Avatar "Seagate Recovery Services" promoting where you work and so on....if you are not willing to help in this forum knowing you have the answer, probably this forum is not suitable for you, we love sharing and we love helping each other, well at least if you dont want to help out, just keep quiet.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 21:14 

HeadCrash wrote:
probably this forum is not suitable for you, we love sharing and we love helping each other

How many people did you help here?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 21:20 

Doomer wrote:
HeadCrash wrote:
probably this forum is not suitable for you, we love sharing and we love helping each other

How many people did you help here?

I am not the guru, I thought you are? "THE HDD GURU" :D

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 0:01 

HeadCrash wrote:
Doomer with your arrogant Avatar "Seagate Recovery Services" promoting where you work and so on....if you are not willing to help in this forum knowing you have the answer, probably this forum is not suitable for you, we love sharing and we love helping each other, well at least if you dont want to help out, just keep quiet.

Once again an inexperienced newbie shows up and asks the qualified expert to keep quiet.

And you use the word "love" too much.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 0:51 

cgallery wrote:
HeadCrash wrote:

Once again an inexperienced newbie shows up and asks the qualified expert to keep quiet.

And you use the word "love" too much.

Now you start licking Doomer's ass?

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 0:51 

HeadCrash wrote:
I am not the guru, I thought you are? "THE HDD GURU" :D

I didn't make my "The HDD Lamer" avatar yet, so I'm using which I have
I think I might change it if that helps you breathe normally :)

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 0:57 

HeadCrash wrote:
Now you start licking Doomer's ass?

Or it looks like an example from psychiatry book :)

1. Negative reaction
2. Angry --> (you right here but it could be quite long depends of how clever you are)
3. Deal (it will be probably some stupid posts where you will try to explain that you are just inexperienced newbie, so we shouldn't "beat" you :) )
4. And understanding

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 9:29 

well guys take it easy, this forum, its for open mind people and and for not think on that!

regards

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 13:27 

Headcrash has a point.

Doomer has an avatar that points out very explicitly that he is a ‘HDD Guru’ and works for ‘Seagate Recovery Services’. By that very fact, (s)he either knows about the procedure required to easily recover 0Gb drives (return them to full capacity without having to recover the actual data), or has access to the information that would provide such knowledge. With that in mind, and combining Doomer’s participation on this forum with that very explicit avatar, there is a very real need for Doomer to put up or shut up.

Forums such as this one are built upon members helping each other. Doomer has access to information that would greatly help people with drives that are suddenly reporting zero volume due to corruption in a small chunk of data that reports that size. There is a fix. Doomer’s refusal to provide that fix, provide access to the details that fix, or even acknowledge that the fix exists is essentially a kindergarden’s “nyah-nya, I’m not telling you!” taunt. It is juvenile, petty, and completely against the grain of what these forums are all about.

So, to put it bluntly, there is a very real quick fix. Doomer advertises him(her)self as a ‘HDD Guru’ and a member of ‘Seagate Recovery Services’. Cool. Now prove it. Anyone can put up an avatar that spells themselves as a Seagate HDD expert, so show us how much of an expert you are by explaining how we can spend 30 seconds and $0 bringing our drives back up to full original capacity while retaining all of our data. Then and only then will I view Doomer with any respect whatsoever. Put up or shut up, that is the nature of forums such as this one; posers who claim knowledge and experience that they are not willing to prove are not desired or welcome. In the end, they are no better than trolls.

Sure, that ‘quick fix’ knowledge may indeed be proprietary, but not everyone is a beemer-driving, mansion-owning, silver-spoon-sucking upper-crustie with enough gold around their necks to rival Mr. T. Many of us stretch our budgets to the breaking point for the hardware that allows us to do what we love. To pay thousands of dollars for “data recovery” that involves a 30-second fix that could easily be encapsulated in an encrypted EXE file is a slap in the face to us. From what I have read, this fix is a simple one for Seagate to implement. It would be (literally) no skin off their nose, and would engender plenty of good will toward the company. The only thing that would hurt them is that they wouldn’t be able to charge thousands of dollars for a 30-second fix anymore.

Oh, and BTW, I am NOT a HDD recovery expert; only a general jack-of-all-trades who has recently had an entire striped set of 1TB drives suddenly show 0Gb of volume. And these were new drives, barely one month old!! And if anyone claims that I should have backed up, my response would be, “onto what??”. Show me a storage medium (aside from additional hard drives) that could back up a striped pair of 1Tb drives (1.8Tb real volume) without requiring hundreds of units (DVD’s) or a drive that cost more than the HDD’s in the first place (Blue-ray). I scrimped and saved for over a year to obtain the two 1TB drives I currently have, and now they are both showing 0Gb of volume (they both went simultaneously… and they both fail to even show up unless I use a specific RAID controller on one of my machines; they fail to be recognized on all others). Makes me seriously reconsider Seagate as a reliable brand, 5 year warranty be damned.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 14:21 

You forget something. Nobody here owes you, or any other newbie, ANYTHING. If someone decides to give, it's from the goodness of their heart. We give to who we know, and who we like. Whining that someone MUST give you all their hard-earned secrets is not going to help you. Complaining that someone is 'Arrogant' usually indicates one's own insecurities. If someone truly wants to learn, I wish them all the luck. If you want me to just give you all my secrets, you get nothing. Good day.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 14:46 

I have decided to change my avatar, so it will make some people happier :)

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 14:48 

rekabis wrote:
Doomer has access to information that would greatly help people with drives that are suddenly reporting zero volume due to corruption in a small chunk of data that reports that size. There is a fix. Doomer’s refusal to provide that fix, provide access to the details that fix

Yeah, kill me for that :)

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 15:59 

This behaviour sounds familiar.... Well, another line must be drawn :

Quote:
Put up or shut up, that is the nature of forums such as this one; posers who claim knowledge and experience that they are not willing to prove are not desired or welcome. In the end, they are no better than trolls.

There is a difference between things to say and jobs to do. Doomer has nothing to prove you or to anyone. He works for a living. Yes, a fix exist. Buy your own equipment, do "some" research and you'll fix it. Drive fails, and they come with a warranty. DRIVES, not the DATA. If the firmware or the drive fails, Seagate will give you another one. If you don't like Seagates anymore, and this can be understood even if I still think it's you end-users that generate the problems, take the new drive and sell on E-BAY and get another brand. Or maybe you have a lot of time, so start a class action and good luck. But there is the replace option , so what ? It's you that are whining.
This reminds me a customer who pretended schematics and service details about some appliances, because I am the ONLY authorized service expert for my area... Same behaviour: I had to give him details to prove my ability to put the hands on his system... Finally I said "I can repair your system, but I don't give you anything because I'm under a strict NDA and don't want to give away the opportunities and job of a lifetime only for you. Otherwise, call the factory, your mom, your doctor, everyone you want but my time for you is over, will you please go out and let me work?"

Knowledge is power, money is power to buy other knowledge, and so on... That's life. Accept that you are end users and someone has valuable knowledge and doesn't (or can't) sprinkle it up the world like parmesan cheese on spaghetti. You can jump and go to the other side of the fence anytime.... just invest, study, experiment, work (hard).

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 16:04 

rchadwick wrote:
You forget something. Nobody here owes you, or any other newbie, ANYTHING. If someone decides to give, it's from the goodness of their heart. We give to who we know, and who we like. Whining that someone MUST give you all their hard-earned secrets is not going to help you. Complaining that someone is 'Arrogant' usually indicates one's own insecurities. If someone truly wants to learn, I wish them all the luck. If you want me to just give you all my secrets, you get nothing. Good day.

You are correct in that no-one on this forum owes anyone anything. However, participation on this forum (and any other help-based forum) does carry with it an implicit agreement that if you are going to open your mouth and answer someone else’s request for help, your answer should contain the solution to the best of your abilities and knowledge. If not, then shut up and don’t bother posting a reply, because all that it will do is lower the signal-to-noise ratio.

You will notice that I am not specifying that it need be the correct answer, only that the answer you provide should be the best of your abilities and knowledge. Doomer has the answer, or knows where to obtain the answer to the question asked in this thread. He has provided neither, and has instead provided an inappropriate anecdote which implies support for “leave ’em high and bleed ’em dry” capitalism.

Doomer, to extend your metaphor, a 30-second tooth extraction is NOT worth $1000, especially when a bottle of cheap 180-proof alcohol and a pair of pliers would do the same job. Problem is, we do not have access to that method, because Seagate (and by proxy, you) holds the keys to that particular option.

Simple fact is, Seagate is purposely soaking some of its clients, charging thousands of dollars for a simple operation that would probably take less than a minute. My problem arises when someone like Doomer, who knows the proper fix or who has easy access to it ((s)he claims to be employed by Seagate, after all) provides answers which are clearly inadequate. Yes, we could RMA drives which suddenly show 0Gb of space, but what about our data? Sure there are data recovery services, but they cost many thousands of dollars. Thousands of dollars that very few of us could afford, and really shouldn’t need to pay for a simple operation that wouldn’t require a data recovery operation in the first place.

To provide a metaphor which is more appropriate, let’s say you own a house. One day you try to enter your house, but find the door lock has broken, and you cannot access any of your “stuff” (your data) anymore (0Gb of room, as reported by the BIOS). The simple solution, and the one the home building company *should* advocate, is to call a locksmith to repair your lock (reset the drive capacity flag). Simple, easy, quick and you’re back in operation very quickly. Unfortunately, this builder, called Seagate, has got only one option: they will tear down your home and provide you with a “new” one (RMA). Your “stuff”? Your “furnishings” that you hold so dear? Too bad, so sad, but for more than 100× the cost of the house itself, Seagate will tear down the old one carefully enough so that your furnishings can be saved before the new house is built (data recovery services). After all, your stuff didn’t come with the house, and so its safety is your own responsibility, it’s not Seagate’s fault that their only option is to tear down the house and give you a new one, even though the proper method is a 30-second fix that would have no impact on your data and would not require replacement.

Gee, thanks Seagate. We really love you for soakin’ us like this.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 16:20 

BlackST wrote:
Finally I said "I can repair your system, but I don't give you anything because I'm under a strict NDA and don't want to give away the opportunities and job of a lifetime only for you."

Good example, but dissimilar enough to not be entirely appropriate.

What we are asking for here are not instructions on how to repair entire drives, replace platters, or how to build clean rooms to do work which really does take dozens of hours to complete.

To use another metaphor, we are not expecting repair manuals on how to rebuild an entire engine, only on how to find and replace a little fuse which prevents the engine from turning over in the first place. Repairing an entire engine -- that I can justify spending thousands of dollars on. Replacing one tiny fuse which prevents it from operating in an otherwise 100% normal fashion? Not worth the thousands of dollars, in anyone’s book.

To extend that metaphor; we still have mechanics, even though anyone can fix their car in their backyard. While some people might bring their car to a mechanic for each and every problem (including replacing fuses), I do believe that it is a customer’s right to be able to replace a fuse which has nothing at all to do with the warranty, and would normally not affect the warranty whatsoever. Mechanics are certainly not going to be affected one whit by the ability of a customer to replace their own fuses. If anything, the ability for a customer to replace their own fuse will free up mechanics to pay attention to the really big jobs that are worth the money.

All I am asking for on this forum is the ability to re-set the drive capacity flag, so that I may go back to using my one-month-old drives. There is no need for data recovery, since the data is still just fine. Once the drive capacity flag has been reset, everything will probably be exactly as it was before.

Or to use a previous metaphor, if the lock to your house is broken, use a locksmith, not a wreaking crew.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 16:28 

There was an italian song of the 60's by Gian Pieretti , "PIETRE" (stones)

Tu sei buono e ti tirano le pietre.
Sei cattivo e ti tirano le pietre.
Qualunque cosa fai, dovunque te ne vai,
sempre pietre in faccia prenderai.

(you are good, and they throw you stones
you are bad, and they throw you stones,
Everything you do, everywhere you go,
you always get stones on your face)

That's life :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 16:40 

P.S. the capacity set to 0 is CONSEQUENCE of the problem, all you see is this. But the problem is elsewhere. If it was a "flag" it could be simply reset. Unfortunately (for you) NOT. The drives are only 1 month old ? Perfect. Ask for a full refund and buy a WD so you'll have other kind of problems. Do you want a definitive solution ? Buy smaller drives and save your "valuable" data.
In any case, I want to know why you (end users) experience such problems : I have dozens of drives at work : Seagate, Samsung, some WD, MAxtor... on perfectly conditioned and stable equipment (this means for example PROFESSIONAL power supplies and not 15 EUR / 20 $ taiwan quality super-meta-galactic-discount offer , cooling , IMPOSSIBILITY TO MOVE THE MACHINES WHEN ON , and everything else - plus DLT backup ! - to make my data secure) : result : some drives are working from 1998, others vary from 2002 to 2006 but had no (ZERO) problems - and if something fails in any case I can recover every data if necessary . Just tell me why you have problems and me not. I have asked for this and still no reply.

P.P.S. when you say "WE" , it is intended as "pluralis maiestatis" or an extension of "me myself and I" ?

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 17:08 

I have to add a few more things...

1) Newbies don't dictate the 'rules' of a message board, but it is incredibly annoying when they think they do. It's the moderator that dictates rules. It is up to them to decide what the board is for, it's purposes, limitations, etc.

2) When you get an answer from someone, even if it's rude, incomplete, to your liking, etc... It's still an answer, and a wise person can still get some benefit. If you are unable to derive any benefit from an answer, just ignore it. Attacking the person who took the time to answer is in itself rude and ungrateful. ANY movement of knowledge from those that know to those that don't should be considered a gift, not a birthright. This isn't College. You aren't paying any tuition. Act properly, or you will be destined to getting nothing but arguments here.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 5:25 

WOW after reading some of this I feel dizzy!!! So lets have a beer and sing >>>>>>>>>>>

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...

PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 6:39 

LOOOOL !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next