All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Destroy a HDD without obvious signs of mailfunction.
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 12:59 

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if anybody knows how to destroy an HDD (i dont care about the data in it as long as it doesnt work)
but without any obvious signs of misuse(like hitting it with a hammer :lol: )
I am asking this because i want to RMA an old disk of mine (which stil has warranty) but i dont want them (the company)
to refuse to replace it because of my fault.
thanks in advance. :)
by the way the disk is Western Digital.

Post subject: Re: Destroy a HDD without obvious signs of mailfunction.
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 13:22 

Well, if it's your fault the drive died, you shouldn't be trying to return it under warranty...

On occasion, I've had intermittent parts, and sometimes I send them back 2 or 3 times until the manufacturer finally gets it. Sometimes they still don't get it. In cases like that, I use a stun gun to the electronics. Use the information wisely.

You could also use a magnet. In theory, it's best to use just enough magnetism to stop it from working. If you totally wipe out everything, including SA and servo tracks, they might figure out what you did.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 16:11 

And i of course do that (stunt gun or magnet "trick") when the disk is disconnected from power and sata connection? :lol:

I dont actually own a stunt gun. Is there something that has the same effect and is easy/cheap to find?
when you say magnet you mean a simple small magnet(about as big as a finger) or maybe an electromagnet ? :)
thanks for your answer

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 16:49 

I Also though to put the HDD into the microwave oven but im worried that the oven might blow(or even the disk :lol: ) or that they will find out that it was my fault.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 16:53 

Seems you just missed winter, but if you walk around on carpet shuffling your feet, touching the drive to stuff, you might get lucky. Best to try this when powered off.

As for the magnet, it's best to find your own answers.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 18:34 

this guy is funny :O)

Maybe danny diveto used the STUNT gun too often? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 0:33 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 6:25 

magnet can not actually damage ALL the data. You can try with dummy one and see what happen. But Why dont you think from Manufacturer side. I think mostly of them like Seagate/WD/Samsung and others manufacturer Do not have lot of time to see what is the data in the dead harddrive.
if mostly of user try to damage everything inside the harddrive before they claim for RMA by cheat manufacturer using a special technic to make harddrive seem was not misuse. I believe. the manufacturer sooner will be closed..
and this is unfair for the manufacturer. think how about if you are the manufacturer.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 7:03 

nah im not worried that much about the manufacturer because:
1) im only doing this once and only for one drive
2) I payed 60 euros for that drive a year ago (250GB/8MB cache) an now for the same price if they RMA it i will get 400GB (but with 16MB cache memory) so i dont think it will have such a huge impact for the manufacturer.Instead they might even recycle my old drive instead of me throwing it away and polluting the enviroment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 11:34 

Are you saying WD replaces a broken 250GB drive with a 400GB drive?

If that's the case;

1) Manufacturer might be in trouble. If everybody does it, they will go out of business, and many people will be out of work. You will be part of the problem. It doesn't work to say you will do this only once.

2) It's just plain dishonest to get a new drive. Karma is a funny thing. I'd rather have a reliable 250GB drive, instead of one that will burst into flames as soon as you copy all your precious and un-backed up data to it.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 11:58 

Quote:
Are you saying WD replaces a broken 250GB drive with a 400GB drive?

Not the manufacturer but the afterseller(which is a simple but big computer parts store)
And i havent heard of many people doing this so stop worrying about the manufacturer :lol:
Quote:
2) It's just plain dishonest to get a new drive. Karma is a funny thing. I'd rather have a reliable 250GB drive, instead of one that will burst into flames as soon as you copy all your precious and un-backed up data to it.

I dont believe in karma but even if i did then something extremely good should happen to me cause i have been through a lot lately.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 12:03 

Maybe you've been though a lot lately because you tend to pull crap like this. You might not believe in gravity, but it will still hurt just the same if you fall on your ass.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 12:12 

Quote:
Maybe you've been though a lot lately because you tend to pull crap like this. You might not believe in gravity, but it will still hurt just the same if you fall on your ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
good answer. :D
p.s. its the first time i pull a crap like this :D

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 23:00 

Funny how this thread sounds, its not such a bad idea. It may even get the lazy hd mfg's off their lazy 'oles and make again reliable drives. I hardly ever have a drive that gets past a year old, no matter which brand. If everyone sent back for a new drive. It would get the manufactures fingers out of their 'oles. Alas we know, all they do is send out refurbished drives again and again. Extending to bad mfg support no sooner having to drive return another failed hd. Whats the difference refurbished drive or new drive ! .. None they all fail just as quick.

Is the future to this is solid state only drives. Though the usb stick drives are as reliable as todays hd are, no win situation. It will be a long time to wait for this sollution to be possible candidate.

Could mfg's need to make only reliable drives. If only one mfg only made reliable drives constantly. It would wipe out all the other hd companies in little time.