All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seagate st3320620a sparked, now dead, but fixable?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 21:57 

I plugged in my seagate into my desktop and had a spark shoot off of it, and my pc refused to boot, and continued to refuse to boot as long as the hdd was plugged in. After close examination, I discovered that a small black chip was chipped, and likely the cause/caused by the sparking. I am a wiz with a soldering iron, and have no fear of replacing the chip. When the hdd is upside down, with the logic board facing up and the ide/power plugs facing up, the small black chip is located under the power connector, directly under the 2 left pins of the power connector/under the 'nn' of 'foxconn'. If I use a magnifying glass, I can see 'GP622' at the bottom of the chip, with an 'A' over the the 'G' and an 'E' over the second '2'. If I had a decent digicam, I would snap a pick, I hope my description is sufficient. Can anyone identify what this chip is, maybe a part number and/or a place I can pick one up? I don't care about the data on the hdd, it's just that it is a decent sized hdd, and would rather spend what will likely be a few dollars and 1 minute of soldering, then spending 100$ replacing the drive

edit: found this image in another thread, the part on mine is in the same location but runs left to right, not up and down

download.php?id=283&mode=view

Post subject: Re: seagate st3320620a sparked, now dead, but fixable?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 22:28 

I don't recognize the part number. An exact match might be possible with a picture, as most parts manufacturers put their little logo on most of their parts. However, it's likely not required. The part goes by a few names (TVS, Surge Suppressor, Zener), but it basically protects the drive from someone doing something dumb like plugging in a drive while the computer is on. Problem is, you can't get them at the local Electronics shop. Mail order is the way to go, but minimum orders and shipping really add up. If you have a bad drive, you can salvage one from it. There are other threads on here that have beat all that to death.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 22:59 

the part that is damaged appears to be the same one as in this thread: hard-disk-drives-repair-and-data-recovery-f1/seagate-barracuda-7200-8-st3300831a-device-on-pcb-damaged-t8940.html

A picture won't help very much, because a large chunk of the component is missing. The only visible markings were you can see were the ones i listed. There is a link in the thread to a part from digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... T3GOSCT-ND

is this the same part you mentioned? If it is, it is only 5% for 10, and shipping would likely only be about 5$. I don't mind spending 10$ to fix this hdd if it will work. I just want to confirm it is the right part before I order it.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 23:17 

The part in the Digikey link should work. Problem is, they have a $25 minimum, or they charge another $8 or so. Suppose it's still cheaper than a new drive, IF the rest of the drive is OK. To confirm the drive is OK, you could just remove the part, and see if it works. Just be aware the drive won't be protected from any funny business while you test it. To confirm it's the right part, make sure your burned part is across the +5V line, as this part is a 5 Volt part. If you blew the 12V TVS, and replace it with a 5V part, you'll quickly have another burned TVS.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 10:51 

rchadwick wrote:
The part in the Digikey link should work. Problem is, they have a $25 minimum, or they charge another $8 or so. Suppose it's still cheaper than a new drive, IF the rest of the drive is OK. To confirm the drive is OK, you could just remove the part, and see if it works. Just be aware the drive won't be protected from any funny business while you test it. To confirm it's the right part, make sure your burned part is across the +5V line, as this part is a 5 Volt part. If you blew the 12V TVS, and replace it with a 5V part, you'll quickly have another burned TVS.

I've done that and my PC hangs detecting drives. I imagine the drive is dead. Oh well, it was free anyway.