Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Stopping Motor on WD800BB

June 16th, 2008, 12:55

How do we stop the motor on a WD800BB IDE HDD without using PC3K or Salvation packages?

I need to be able to do that to do a PCB swap between two matching WD800BB drives, where one has a badly burnt PCB while the other is fully functional.

Re: Stopping Motor on WD800BB

June 16th, 2008, 13:07

It would be easier to swap PCB's

June 16th, 2008, 21:51

Exactly, but when I tried to simply swap PCB's the bad drive could initialize but shows $$$$$$$ when read under Victoria. So clearly there's a firmware problem.

June 17th, 2008, 0:05

You have to put it to sleep or hibernate.

June 17th, 2008, 3:24

But how?

June 18th, 2008, 15:52

ghost wrote:Exactly, but when I tried to simply swap PCB's the bad drive could initialize but shows $$$$$$$ when read under Victoria. So clearly there's a firmware problem.

Either the PCB is incompatible or their is something else wrong with the drive.

Wehen you say "initialize", does it show the complete model, serial number and capacity?

June 18th, 2008, 17:25

ghost wrote:How do we stop the motor on a WD800BB IDE HDD without using PC3K or Salvation packages?

I need to be able to do that to do a PCB swap between two matching WD800BB drives, where one has a badly burnt PCB while the other is fully functional.

"badly burnt" on a WD normally means "fried PCB, fried heads."

Duncan

June 19th, 2008, 1:53

pcimage wrote:
ghost wrote:Exactly, but when I tried to simply swap PCB's the bad drive could initialize but shows $$$$$$$ when read under Victoria. So clearly there's a firmware problem.

Either the PCB is incompatible or their is something else wrong with the drive.

Wehen you say "initialize", does it show the complete model, serial number and capacity?

YES, it shows complete model, serial number, and capacity.
Even SMART parameters are readable when you press F9 in Victoria.

But obviously, the PCB is not compatible as you said, since we have an exactly matching donor drive here.

Any idea how to STOP the motor on the donor drive after it has initialized so I could do a PCB SWAP?

Surprisingly, this fully functioning WD800BB donor drive is not supported by PC3K ISA. I could have done the PCB SWAP in there. But all I get is some message that there's an error loading modules.

June 19th, 2008, 3:01

Have you tried using the power options in windows to stop the drive?
Then do hot swap.
If you are lucky the data will then be there for the taking.

June 19th, 2008, 14:54

Assuming the drive does not make any clicking noises, which it doesn't sound like it does if it initialises OK, then it very much sounds like you have some sort of firmware problem.

Which is not fixable with freebie utils. You need PC3000, Salvation or similar.

If you need the data, then send it to a pro. There are lots here!

A simple f/w problem shouldn't cost much to sort out, if you send it to the right place!

Cheers

Sean

June 20th, 2008, 12:38

I'm a pro myself, but would rather wait for Atola Insight to come out to handle ALL HDD's... :D

Of course, I have Salvation and PC3K ISA...

June 20th, 2008, 14:10

If you have Salvation, then check the SA modules in that.

Post the results.

June 22nd, 2008, 23:22

ghost wrote:How do we stop the motor on a WD800BB IDE HDD without using PC3K or Salvation packages?

HI,

I can not figure out why you try freebie units by let PC3K and SalvationDATA products sleeepling and hibernating.

Maybe you have salvationDATA freeware?

Regards

Laura

June 23rd, 2008, 10:43

Laura,

I have your HD Doctor for Seagate, but still have to buy your HD Doctor for WD.

Thanks for your concern, anyway.
Post a reply