All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow performance
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 15:42 

Hello,

I have a question to ask, that is it good to perform low level format on a hard disk after some time of usage, i have a Seagate 160 GB SATA hard drive. I am using it since 2 or more years and i have installed windows many times on this hard drive, i just format my C:\ partition (Windows Partition) and install windows (All other partitions remains intact). From some time i am noticing that it is performing very slow. Data transfer is very slow, some files and folders are unable to delete (No matter how hard i try they simply do not delete) and some times I encounter strange errors like when copying a data from one partition to another gives an error "Cannot copy (Cyclic Redundancy Error)". The performance remains same even after reinstalling windows. There are no bad sectors in my hard disk, so is it wise to low level format it and start with new fresh partitions ? Does it improve the performance ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Slow performance
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 15:59 

Maybe a full scan/erase with MHDD might help. Or at least show you if there are any weak/slow sectors on the drive.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 16:06 

dear tahirahmed,
i think, those two link might be helpful for you.

http://forum.csebd.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44
http://forum.csebd.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19

SHAHI
shahi.mahbub@gmail.com

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 22:18 

low level format on a hard disk. it may cause the data loss.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 22:41 

tahirahmed,

Let's see, What is CRC on hard disk drives ?

During data transfer between hard disk & computer (for example when a file is opened, or data is saved to the hard disk), a technique known as CRC is used to ensure the non-corruption of this data during transfer. If an error is detected, a CRC error is generated and the data is re-transmitted.

CRC errors on hard drives: Drives that produce CRC errors frequently have difficultly reconciling the data received with the transmitted. This can be for a variety or reasons such as poor cabling, hard disk microprogram corruption,(Firmware) or electronic related problems

Hard disks with genuine CRC errors are quite rare although they do exist.

In all cases of CRC problems, an up to date Anti-Virus program should be run on the system. This should provide the user with the information as to the real cause of the problem ie. a genuine CRC problem, or unwanted malicious code.

More frequently, a CRC error message such as the one below is produced when a piece of malicious code has been introduced onto a system. But it seems not true from your case after you reinstall your windows.

No bad sectors on your hard disk either. I prefer to hard disk microprogram corruption,(Firmware) or a electronic problem.

Best Regards

Laura

Attachments:
windows-crc-error.gif
windows-crc-error.gif [ 2.99 KiB | Viewed 6019 times ]

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 1:23 

Slow performance might also if sectors are slow (less than 50ms)

SHAHI
shahi.mahbub@gmail.com

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 3:13 

Hello,

First of all thanks everyone for your valuable time and tips. The CRC error on my hard drive started to occur a few days ago. It is an error after which i become concerned about my hard drive and posted the problem here but right now it happening with only one data, there is a movie on my hard drive which when i try to copy or move to another partition gave me a CRC error. When i try to copy it to another location it gives me an estimated copy time about 2 minutes and error occurs every time exactly when 55 seconds are remaining. It does not seem to be a malicious code because i have NOD32 antivirus always up and running plus its also updated and error only occurs with one piece of data, all other data can be copied or moved without any problem except slow performance.

And yes you guys are mentioning weak/slow sectors, please tell me why does a sector become slow i mean is there any particular reason for it or its a mechanical wear which occurs with the passing time ? and is there any way to cure them ? such as filling all the sectors with zeros using low level format. I don't know whether a low level format can help or not just a friend of mine told me that it improves performance but its a big step thats why i turned to these forums before doing that.

Also suggest some utility/program that can point out slow sectors.

Sorry for asking too much, but i am really worried about the performance of my hard drive. Thanks...

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 3:44 

Hi, If its only happening with one large data file then that file is probably corrupted and you will have to delete it. If it dosn't delete in windows then that shows the problem. You can delete it with a utility or from dos or from a boot cd etc. even with your security software malicious trojan code could be inside that file.

If you want to test the drive an easy way is to use 'victoria for windows', You might have to fiddle with the port settings for a sata drive.
Once detected set the timeout in the test panel to 250ms and let us know the results.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 16:12 

... or maybe you simply have a POOR POWER SUPPLY / wrong memory parameters ? Anyway, erasing the drive will recalculate CRCs on the fly.
Instead of analyzing complicated possibilities, check first the simplest issues : I had a customer haunted by disk errors, file system errors and so on. Checked the power supply and there was a lot of HF ripple especially on the +12 branch.
First I thought recap was the solution but time for me is critical : changed the whole PS with a brand new, top quality 500W power supply (was a P4 machine) .... the issues disappeared. Got money, a new customer for life, everyone's happy, fixed !!!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 18:59 

Ddrive failure, the drive begining to fail. Bad and/or weak sectors on the platters.

In victoria, look at the smart list. I would not be if you have, a high number of relocated sectors.

Xp sluggishness it's written on microsoft web site. If constanly keep retrying same data copy or write with same Cyclic Redundancy Error, or other hard errors. Xp can and will slow down the drive speed for reading and writing forever. Until you delete/change some registry entries, install xp again or use a backup from before disk errors occured. A badly setup anti virus or spyware checker will also make a pc slow.

The file could be got without deleting it, if possible by imaging the drive. Another way that sometimes works is unstoppable copier, a free tool. It doesn't do reverse copy more the shame, maybe the author is open to this suggestion if asked ! Do rush all and email the author, for this to happen. ;)

A badly setup anti virus or spyware type tool, can also make a pc slugish.