All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WD Passport - DML file extension - Encrypted files?
PostPosted: September 17th, 2008, 8:46 

in my case, i was able to save all the files (dml) onto another external drive. now, if i could only remember profil name and password ect.. i might be able to try this tool.

hanginthere2

PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 20:36 

Hi Everybody,

I read the problems posted in this forum that are similar to mine. I was too stuck with .dml files, that didn't show up in the WD passport sync software after emailing Dmailer back and fort, I got a reply from them that second (Data Recovery Tools) from Dmailer is available. I download and tried it on my Passport and recovered most of the files but the files name are changed to the number which the tools recover it from (example: 323_43234.jpg). The only thing is that you need to select the profile that originally created with WD sync.

Here is the link: http://www.dmailer.org/download/DataRecoveryTool.zip

Good Luck and I hope it works for you!

EY

PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 20:46 

Bluey127,

Try to recover your original synced "sync.4.0.db" file and other missing/deleted .dml files from the WD passport with ontrack or similar recovery software the go ahead try again with data recovery tools see if it works.

EY

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 17:37 

Hi EY,
I have still got no further with retrieving my data. It is a matter of getting the de-crypting tool from Dmailer to work. The tool picks up the profiles ok, however when I click on the profile it tells me they're no files in either profile. Clearly there is about 6 Gb of data.

I think it is to do with the way the .DML files have been recovered. I have used (2) recoverey programs and both have named the .DML files differently.
i) x78.DML & ii)_78.DML

I am in the process of deleting the x from all these DML files and then I will try the decrypting tool again.

Thanks,
Bluey127

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 2:03 

Read others with possible similar problem.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 21:17 

Hi, everyone,

Glad to see there's been so much discussion on here. My apologies to a number of people because I didn't think I was getting any PMs, when in fact I was (due to the fact that the PM notifications went to my Yahoo! spam folder). Anyway, I hope you are managing to recover your files. DMailer did in fact send out a new recovery tool. Unfortunately, it's all too late for me since I've been using my Passport and therefore have overwritten anything I would have hoped to recover. Sigh. Lesson learned, I guess. Ok, well, good luck to everyone. Spread the word about this crappy software!

Best,
Scigirl

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 21:29 

OK, so it's been a while since I dedicated 50 hours a week to this problem, so I don't remember everything (I should have written it all down, but was sure I'd never forget - LOL). I think if you go back to my old posts, there is a solution, Bluey. If you have files that are called .DML in your profile, it won't recognize them. They have to be called .dml. You can do a batch rename on them. I seem to recall that what I did was recover the files with software from download.com, save the recovered files to a folder on a separate computer or internal hard drive, then I renamed them to .dml, then I deleted everything from one of the folders in my profile on the Passport (usually named a, b, c, d, and so on), then copy and pasted the recovered, renamed .dml files into that profile folder (just dragging and dropping via Windows Explorer), and then ran the decrypting software from DMailer, and it recognized the files and decrypted them. Unfortunately, I figured all that out after a 2am mistake where I overwrote most of the files I need to recover, so I got like 5 out of 100s of photos back. But try that - it should work for you. Read all my old posts. I don't give you every detail because I'm a broke Ph.D. student who was hoping to simultaneously help people and put a little cash in my pocket to make up for all the time I spent figuring this out, but most of the info is there and I can try to fill in blanks now if need be. Again, it's been a while and I'm super busy now that school is in session.

Everyone -- KEEP IN MIND, the DMailer software is NOT recovery software. It is decryption software. What you need to do (i.e., the big picture) is RECOVER your encrypted files from the Passport using third party software that you get for free from the web THEN decrypt those recovered encrypted files with DMailer's software. Somewhere in there you may have to rename the recovered encrypted files so DMailer's software recognizes them.

DMailer is not particularly helpful. In fact, in the long process of working all of this out, they asked me (1) not to email them anymore or they would block me and then (2) how I did it once I told them I got it to work. I don't think I told them. ;-)

Scigirl

PostPosted: October 29th, 2008, 18:18 

You could upload the latest DMailer decryption software, to the files section of this forum. As you say it is needed to recover any data.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 13:45 

I managed to recover all the .dml files to my laptop and I renamed them all making sure .dml was lowercase. I saved them back to the passport under a new profile. I then run the dmailer decryption software and it recognises the profile and I get it to save all files to a folder on my laptop.. however it has saved all the files as a .pdb file. I've done a little research and it looks as if this is like a pocket pc type file so I have no idea why this has done this. Did anyone have any issues with the files when you decrypted yours?

Regards,

Gillian

PostPosted: November 18th, 2008, 14:57 

Llo,

i have a similar problem but I' can't access my sync.4.0.db file...
Is there anyone who knows how to open this file so you can read it's content?

My problem now is that he doesn't accept my password... maybe I've made a typo but I don't know...

So is there anyone who can help me out?

Thx

Attachments:
File comment: just delete .txt
Sync.4.0.db.txt [1.42 MiB]
Downloaded 1003 times

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 2:51 

Has anyone been successful in the recovery? The software just deleted all my Outlook data which i really need. Scigirl22, you mentioned something about not being able to recover emails and contacts. I think this is something Dmailer told you in their response. Has anyone been able to recover emails?

thanks

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 5:18 

Erik,

You need to provide more details.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 12:18 

a month ago my purchased a new laptop since my other one was on the fritz. I purchased this WD Passport in order to transfer files from one to the other. I lucked out by not using the WD Sync software for most of my files. However, it seemed easiest to use it for my Outlook content. Last night when i finally had a chance to try and put my outlook data from the Passport onto my newly installee Outlook on my new computer I made the mistake of doing Sync. I think i actually tried to copy to computer, but it didnt work for some reason. So i though sync was the correct way to do it. It ended up deleting all my outlook data (emails, and contacts) from my passport and replacing it with the empty outlook data from the recently installed outlook.

I was just wondering if anyone has been successful in recovering outlook data. I was able to use the Dmailer recover tool and have recovered a bunch of files to a folder on my desktop. just not sure what to do next. I think renaming the files is the next thing to do. I need to read through the post again.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Erik

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 13:19 

So my my first attempt involved simply running the Dmailer recovery software on my profile. It found a bunch of files and I recovered them to a folder on my desktop. there are a couple that seem to be database files and most of them are .unknown files. Looks like 132_22.unknown. Not sure what to do with these.

Second attempt was using the Pandora recovery software from download.com. This found other files. Could be the same, could be different. I haven't recovered them yet because i am not sure if this is what i want or if i can just use the dmailer recovery tool on the .dml files on the passport.

There are also quite a few hidden files on my passport with the file type .dml.rmv. ANyone know what these are? Does the .rmv mean they are to be removed?

Thanks,

E

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 17:11 

Do you still have the laptop that was on the "fritz" and specifically its hard drive?

In my opinion, what you are doing is dangerous.

The fastest way to bring your Outlook.pst back would be to copy it again from your older laptop. You have not mentioned its fate, so I am assuming it's still in your possession. This can be accomplished through the use of an external USB enclosure. You would put the old drive inside the enclosure, connect it to the new laptop, and copy the file thus bypassing the WD Passport headaches.

The file Outlook.pst will be inside a hidden folder (Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook) and you may also have permissions issues while trying to access it. So, you will also need to take over the ownership of your Documents and Settings from the new laptop. The easiest way to accomplish that is to right-click on the Documents and Settings folder and choose properties and then permissions and add your user to authorized users with full control. Windows will notice you don't have enough rights and offer you to take over the ownership.

It is easy to extract the laptop hard drive in most modern laptops. You are welcome to ship it to us if this sounds complicated. :)

PostPosted: January 16th, 2009, 20:06 

i would like to start by thanking scigirl22 for using so much time to help us with this problem.

i used wd sync to take a backup from my mother`s computer, and i managed to delete some important documents. i used a recovery tool to look for deleted files in the wd external hard drive and found a bounch of files called $xx.DML (exampel $56.DML) i copy these files to the computer hardrive and renamed them xx.dml (56.dml).
In the "F:\WD Sync Data\yourprofile\Data\Sync.4.0.deposit" there was alot of folders (a,b,c,d,e,f) i moved them to a secure location, so that i dont lose them aswell. then i made new folders calling them (a,b,c,d,e,f) and copy the recovered and renamed files to the "a" folder. i used dmailers recovery tool and found "yourprofile" on the wd external hardrive and copy them to the computer hard drive. I ended up whith hopefully most of the deleted files, and some unknown. files that i dont know what to do with.

the daimlers recovery tool is to be found at their homepage, or search the internet for it (more easy to search the internet)

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 20:18 

Does anyone have any ideas what to do with the .unknown files?! It's so irritating that they all lose their filenames.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 8:20 

Those .unknown are frustrating there is free tool you can use to find the correct extension.

To make sure you get all data back and all file extensions start from the start.

For full recovery instructions follow this tutorial:
http://prodir.synthasite.com/data-recovery-wd-sync-cruzer-sync-dmailer-sync.php

you can thank me later :D

PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 15:12 

A friend asked my to try to recover her WD drive with the exact same issue. I found this thread and have followed all of the steps outlined. Recovered the files did a batch rename to make sure all of the extensions are lowercase. When i run the data recovery tool it findes the files and says it is saving files the folder i chose but not writing anything to the folder. Any ideas?

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 21:12 

So I have all these DML files on my WD External Hard drive. Can someone tell me how to get these bad boyz unencrypted? I saw someone talking about a profile password but I have no idea where/when I would be prompted to enter that.