All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quantum AS - physically disabling heads ??
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 11:47 
Hi Board.

I need some assistance from those of you who can do head exchange:

I had to exchange the heads from a quantum Fireball AS 30Gb hard disk, but i found no match so my I did it with the heads from a 40Gb model.

It worked, but the drive is very unstable. I have saved most of my clients data, but there is one big PST file which data extractor is never able to copy due to the large size (the drive clicks in the middle of the copy, in random positions, so it is not an actual bad sector.)

What i need to know:
------------------------

Fireball AS 40 have 4 heads, Fireball 30 have only 3, so i think that the drive is unstable because of the "extra head" that is decalibrating the others, when it tries to read data from a physically unformatted platter.

I need to know how to disable this head from the head stack ???

By just "cutting" it out ? By making s short circuit in some pin?

Any help will be apreciated, and remember that I do no have access to any 30Gb hard drive from the firaball AS family, so this is the only way to do the job :(

Best regards

-BR-

Post subject: Re: Quantum AS - physically disabling heads ??
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 14:57 

Interesting 8)

I used a three head stack on a two head Fujitsu MPD in the past and it worked good. I just cut the connection for the unused head, was not sure at first but it worked ok.

now the Quantum will not use this head becuase it's not in the config pages ect... BUT the firmware may think it has 4 heads because it has picked up live data from the existance of another head. The firmware algor will probably re-adjust some settings to allow for the extra weight on the stack.... NRRO RRO stability, force used to move head... ect

Just a guess, not sure to be honest but thats my pounds worth

-=BR=- wrote:
Hi Board.

I need some assistance from those of you who can do head exchange:

I had to exchange the heads from a quantum Fireball AS 30Gb hard disk, but i found no match so my I did it with the heads from a 40Gb model.

It worked, but the drive is very unstable. I have saved most of my clients data, but there is one big PST file which data extractor is never able to copy due to the large size (the drive clicks in the middle of the copy, in random positions, so it is not an actual bad sector.)

What i need to know:
------------------------

Fireball AS 40 have 4 heads, Fireball 30 have only 3, so i think that the drive is unstable because of the "extra head" that is decalibrating the others, when it tries to read data from a physically unformatted platter.

I need to know how to disable this head from the head stack ???

By just "cutting" it out ? By making s short circuit in some pin?

Any help will be apreciated, and remember that I do no have access to any 30Gb hard drive from the firaball AS family, so this is the only way to do the job :(

Best regards

-BR-

PostPosted: October 28th, 2004, 0:39 

POST ERASED

Last edited by Tony on April 28th, 2005, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2004, 6:16 

Oh, great!
What else one can do using this updates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2004, 10:02 

I do not know if is true but I hear that we can find a very very rich lady to merry and she will suport us so we can stop with the hd shits and live life, a kind of live and let die, or let people say things........., anything.........

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 1:19 

It's incredible. Tony can do anything with PC3000. You can solve any problem with it. Are you REALLY using PC3000 ?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 3:28 

Thor wrote:
It's incredible. Tony can do anything with PC3000. You can solve any problem with it. Are you REALLY using PC3000 ?

It's because they have told him of all the hidden features and commands,
like the auto zones editor and fixer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 9:48 

POST ERASED

Last edited by Tony on April 28th, 2005, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 13:03 

Tony wrote:
Listen guys, I am not a developer of PC-3000 and nobody is paying me for advertising it here. I joined this forum to read and learn, because I'm not the only person who uses PC-3000 and I know that many people here are much more experience than me.
I mentioned about changing heads ONLY AFTER I saw the question here and went to my PC-3000 program. I found it, checked it, and only then replied to the guy.
Shame.... :cry:

PC3k only changes the CP pages. In this case his drive is set to 30GB anyway in it's internal config.. The problem he has is with the 4 head stack running on 3 head stack firmware................

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2004, 9:26 
Thanks to all of you that tried to help me ;)

I want to say that i manage to import a Firaball AS 30Gb and with the new 3 headed stack the problem was 100% solved :)

After this customer have acepted the data we recovered, i will make some experiences with the 4 head stack and if I to see if it can adapt to the 3-surfaced media. If I find something usefull I will post the news here.

Regards,

-BR-