All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC-3000 Flash, new update 1.6
PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 18:11 

Hi to all,
I've tried new update of PC-3000 Flash and I was wondered because I've solved 9 my old cases and 2 of 4 my active cases. It's good job ACE guys!
But I hope in the future will be able to restore 99% of cases.
Do anybody used it already? Or is it just me so lucky? :mrgreen:
This version is really very automated and it's good way to improve PC3K flash. I hope someone from ACE read this. But I have one question. Does anybody knows why not all SM324 controllers supported? Actually sometimes I couldn't find some difference in SA structure in other cases with SM324, because it looks similar. But some of SM324 cases are solved and part of them are not solved yet. I have big troubles with these SM324 controllers...
Could anyone suggest some clue in SM324 cases? Is there especial mix? Or something else?
Any answers are appreciated!

Post subject: Re: PC-3000 Flash, new update 1.6
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 0:00 

USBest is the easiest to recover, yeah I agree SM324QF is deadly

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 3:39 

I also have installed the new version of PC-3000 Flash from ACE.
It seems to be good, but I need to test it. I liked very much Data analisys -> Autodetect mode, it looks like they have greatly redone it because it used to detect the algorithm not always correctly... :roll:

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 3:43 

1.6 is buggy as hell.. it crashes constantly, 1.6.1 is a lot more stable. When/if they crack SanDisk Crypto I'll give them a pat on the back otherwise I'm not impressed. PC3K flash is only good for 10% of my cases, granted it is nice when it works :) I wish all I got were USBest or SM32x those are easy.

Auto Detect works well on "known" controller/size combo's, otherwise its useless, it mangles the image beyond recognition or does nothing.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 7:58 

xehqter wrote:
1.6 is buggy as hell.. it crashes constantly, 1.6.1 is a lot more stable. When/if they crack SanDisk Crypto I'll give them a pat on the back otherwise I'm not impressed. PC3K flash is only good for 10% of my cases, granted it is nice when it works :) I wish all I got were USBest or SM32x those are easy.

Auto Detect works well on "known" controller/size combo's, otherwise its useless, it mangles the image beyond recognition or does nothing.

what tool do you use?

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 10:44 

xehqter wrote:

I couldn't imagine, how do you solve only 10% of cases? I suppose that you're didn't read the manual. In the PC3k flash there are universal algorithms which are very good. Much better than in another tools. As I can see you're newbie and you use only "Recovery via controller mode". You should just run autoanalysis and it will solve much more your cases.
Read more about "how to use new version" there:
http://www.pc-3000flash.com/eng/ver161.090302.php

PostPosted: March 12th, 2009, 3:43 

hddguy wrote:
xehqter wrote:

what tool do you use?

SoftCenter, PC3K Flash, and custom translators that I write for controllers unsupported by both products.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2009, 4:34 

Creator wrote:
xehqter wrote:

I couldn't imagine, how do you solve only 10% of cases? I suppose that you're didn't read the manual. In the PC3k flash there are universal algorithms which are very good. Much better than in another tools. As I can see you're newbie and you use only "Recovery via controller mode". You should just run autoanalysis and it will solve much more your cases.
Read more about "how to use new version" there:
http://www.pc-3000flash.com/eng/ver161.090302.php

ROFLMAO, I haven't been called newbie much less been told to RTFM in so long. Thanks for the complement...

Yes, 10%, granted I haven't had enough time to give 1.6.1 a good tryout. I got 1.6 on the 2nd which was so buggy I stopped using it, and 1.6.1 on Monday.

Problem #1. No SANDISK SUPPORT!!! SanDisk are the most popular drive I have coming in..
Problem #2. No Support for Flash Drives with non-standard pages sizes (only 528 or 2112 are supported)
Problem #3. Tech-support, the lack of trained techs.
Problem #4. Auto Mix detection results vary greatly, sometimes their spot on, other times its way out there. I've had drives with no mix that get flagged as having a mix, other times its a simple block split that the Auto-Mix detection ends up splitting the image many different ways producing a completely mangled result. Whenever I get an unpopular controller guaranteed auto-mix detection will mess it up in some way.. yes, I can solve the mix manually w/ PC3K however SoftCenters Mix Editor is far superior. Understandable as PC3K's product is geared towards automated recovery.
Problem #5. Documentation or the lack or it
Problem #6. The assemblers are myopic, they tend to work only cases that PC3K flash has seen, not real world. For example I had a controller using Transcend_F0 , the translation table for Bank 0 was lost in an erase cycle.. all 0xFFFF, PC3K flash gave up. SoftCenter used the block numbers in the SA for bank 0 and the translation table for Bank 1.

I could go on all day..

In the last 5 months PC3K has made fantastic progress. Back when PC3K started doing hard drives, they only supported a few. Now they support many. Its the same with flash drives. I'm not saying its a bad product, just that RIGHT NOW, it doesn't support a lot of flash drives. Unlike hard drives, there are many companies manufacturing controllers, this makes it tough.. PC3K is to ridged in design, to be a complete solution it needs more flexibility. They will always be playing catchup to the market.

In the long run, time is money. When PC3K perfects its translators, assemblers, and mix detection it will save me time. Until that happens I'll be using other solutions which make the process of solving the mix & assembling the image easier. Even if I have to write them myself. Right now I'm using both products, when auto-detection fails I head to SoftCenter.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2009, 2:23 

Hi
I am also using PC3000 Flash Version 1.6.1 but there is no such issue of crashing. its quite stable. as I am running on Windows XP SP 3. Try to load SP3 and may be your problem solved.

As some of the Tech can write their own program but not all. So its a good product for rest. One thing is there that ACE is giving updates very randomly.

Also agreed that Sandisk support are missing. Hope to be added very soon.

I will give 75 out of 100 to the product. as nearly most of the time I was able to get the data and Money too. :lol:

DF :)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2009, 3:21 

darkforce1 wrote:
Hi
I am also using PC3000 Flash Version 1.6.1 but there is no such issue of crashing. its quite stable. as I am running on Windows XP SP 3. Try to load SP3 and may be your problem solved.

PC3K Flash 1.6 was buggy, 1.6.1 fixed a lot of issues.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 3:34 

I don't have it yet. Is it worth buying?