All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony Vaio Memory Stick - how to format?
PostPosted: March 18th, 2009, 9:34 

Hi there

I also have a Sony Vaio Flash USB Memory - looks the same as on the picture posted recently (on "Need tool for low level format flash disk Sony").

I do not know if mine is fake or not - I got it from a friend who says he got it directly from Sony as a promotion.

These are the facts - and below my problems:

It claims to be 512 GB (yes – it sounds like fake)

I used it on a Dell PC and managed to copy 40 GB to the stick - then something went wrong - the file system got corrupted (no – I was not surprised…)

So - I used Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool (version 2.36 build 1181). The format took nearly 7 hours (1.073.152.000 sectors - 549,45 Gbytes). This made me think that it might not be fake after all…

The program ended with "Low level format is done. You will have to create partitions and format this drive".

I started the disk-management tool (under Windows XP Professional) and tried to format the stick (which now claimed to have capacity 511 GB with no filesystem – “RAW”. The format took 6 more hours - but ended with "Format did not complete". The “filesystem” is now still RAW and the stick is – of course - not possible to use.

What to do? Is it really necessary to "create partitions" after having run Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool? I made a test with a Kingston 1 GB stick and after the low-level-format I used the disk-management tool to format the drive - and it worked just fine. I guess "create partitions" is optional - not necessary.

When I formatted the Kingston 1 GB it was only possible to choose between FAT and FAT32. Why not NTFS? And – the opposite - when I formatted the Sony 512 GB stick it was only possible to "choose" NTFS. When I got the Sony-stick (when it was new) it was formatted as FAT32. I am a bit lost.

Regards

Henrik

Post subject: Re: Sony Vaio Memory Stick - how to format?
PostPosted: March 27th, 2009, 12:27 

There is no such thing as a 512 GB memory stick. The last time I was awake, the biggest SSD is only 250 GB and they cost almost 600 quid! (1000 USD) http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Produ ... -Flash-SSD

So either it is a fake or there is something wrong with its thang. If you can open the device easily, read the numbers of the NAND chips and post them here. Someone will be able to let you know what size they really are.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/