All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16GB MicroSD Card Corrupted! Can't format! Help!
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 13:11 

OK, so I got a G1 Android phone (it kicks iPhone arse) and I have a 16GB MicroSDHC memory card. I used Paragon Partition Manager to format the card with a 14GB FAT32 partition and 2 GB for Ext2 Linux (I found a hack where you can download, save, and run G1 apps from the memory card using ext2). No problems, it formatted the card and I verified the partitions were good. Started using it in my G1 and it worked like a "dream". Then about a week after I did it, my G1 bricked (it's rooted) and I finally realized it was the memory card. Took it out popped in a new one and the phone works again. It seems the ext2 partition is fine but the FAT32 is corrupted and unreadable. I tried elevated command prompts in Windows and the format function in Paragon in addition to ZAR and SDFormatter and none of them can read or format it.

I think it's stuck in read only mode somehow. When I run format e: in cmd.exe it tells me the data is RAW and cannot be formatted. I tried releasing all handles on drive but that didn't work either. But when I stick the card into my laptop, it reads all the FAT32 data and I can even open Explorer window and see all my files from the Fat32 partition. But I cannot copy, delete, or move them. And again, I cannot format it.

There are bad sectors but I think it's a software problem because my card looks undamaged and it's been in my phone the whole time. I just need to erase the frackin thing!

Is there any way to force format the whole 16GB, delete the partitions, and start over in MSDOS or Vista?