All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MHDD on a flash drive: copy file -> error
PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 13:24 

Hello.

I have installed grub4dos on my flash drive and MHDD CD (also floppy) image as a boot option (MHDD still creates RAM-disk).
When I try to copy MHDD log from RAM-disk onto flash drive I get critical error text (in DOS, not that blue in MHDD) and the file has 0 Bytes.

What I am calling here 'flash drive' is microSD within USB multi card reader.

Can I somehow fix that? Why DOS cannot write data to my flash drive?

Regards & respect

Post subject: Re: MHDD on a flash drive: copy file -> error
PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 23:27 

I have no problem with booting MHDD, what I want to do is save log file from RAM-disk to SD on USB card reader (floppy is way too small for MAKELOG results). This can not be done by any means in DOS?

Maybe I have to add drivers or something? But that would be rather strange while MHDD booted successfully (= SD card accessed) - why file can not be written?

Regards & respect

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 0:52 

Hi, the motherboard has provisions for booting from a flash drive.
Drivers to access a memory card through a card readr can be a totally different thing.

have you tried saving to a regular USB stick instead of the card reader+microSD just to see if the reader is the issue? if it doesnt work with a USB stick then I would think you need something like
http://reboot.pro/topic/18607-grub4dos-046a-with-embedded-usb-20-driver/

another possibility is you dont know what drive letter the USB/microsd card is.. If you have other drives in your system, it could be E: F: etc.

I sometimes need to add drivers for a NIC and if I boot from a windows PE disc, on a PC with a Mult-Card reader, a USB stick will be detected and useable just fine for reading and writing, and the drive letter is F: or G:

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 2:21 

Thanks.

Too bad there are no USB sticks around, but I will keep that in mind as a possibility.

I do know the drive letter (SD card gets C and RAM-disk gets D unlike with floppy MHDD), because 1) I can dir it and see what I expect and 2) as I wrote a destination log file is created, yet not filled with any data (file weights 0 Bytes and I have "General failure writing drive C" and also "Fail on INT 24" errors when trying to copy MHDD.log).

Actually I managed to add 'test' text and new line to a created file that had 0 Bytes using "echo test >> C:\log.txt", that kind of worked but with 'general failure' displayed. I also wrote other text but then file got corrupted :( .

Regards & respect

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 4:05 

Sounds to me like INT 24 is a hardware interrupt, meaning the Program is trying to use hardware to write, instead of the usual way by using the drivers as an abstraction layer. if you can think of how a usual card reader works, the PC sees the card reader and the card read manages the card. So what I think is happening here is the log is trying to write to the reader, not the device inserted in the reader.