All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transcend 1TB USB Flash Drive suddenly showing RAW
PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 16:06 

Hi,
I have more than 700GB data on my flash drive and suddenly it's showing as and asking for format please support and suggest me. Thanks in advance

Attachments:
transcend error.jpg
transcend error.jpg [ 111.92 KiB | Viewed 15411 times ]

Post subject: Re: Transcend 1TB USB Flash Drive suddenly showing RAW
PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 18:51 

Hi, you should make a image of that flash drive and scan that with i.e Get Data Back or R-Studio.
You can do a image with Winhex or other imaging tool.

Bosse

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 0:11 

I get really worried when I see 1TB flash drive. In my experience I see very few people buy flash drives larger than 64GB UNLESS it is cheap from ebay.

Has your drive always transferred data on AND OFF the drive properly, and is there any chance it is a fake?

I have bought 32GB from ebay, and you can copy 29GB just fine, but you cannot get the data off - mainly because there is actually only an 8GB Memory chip in it and firmware on the flash drive lies to you.

Is it actually a flash drive or a USB 1TB external drive?

you might try running the free Partition Find and Mount, search for a partition, and if/when found - copy all files to a new drive.
Imaging is really the best option if possible, and doing data recovery on the image. Just depends on your circumstances and either how much your skillset carries you, or how well you would be able to follow along with help from the forum without messing the drive up.

If it is really important, then a DR place might not be too costly, and more chance of recovery

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 10:42 

mr_spokk wrote:
Hi, you should make a image of that flash drive and scan that with i.e Get Data Back or R-Studio.

Bosse

Thanks bosse, so after making image i need to mount the image and need to scan that image?

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 11:19 

faisalsaleem wrote:
mr_spokk wrote:

Bosse

Thanks bosse, so after making image i need to mount the image and need to scan that image?

no, you need to load the image to a recovery software and scan !
BTY, are you sure it is a flash drive and not a traditional hard disk in the box?
can you post some pictures ?

good luck

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 13:53 

MindMergepk wrote:

no, you need to load the image to a recovery software and scan !
BTY, are you sure it is a flash drive and not a traditional hard disk in the box?
can you post some pictures ?

good luck

Hi,
Sorry it is not flash, it is portable storage ===> http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-284

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 14:04 

HaQue wrote:
Has your drive always transferred data on AND OFF the drive properly, and is there any chance it is a fake?
Is it actually a flash drive or a USB 1TB external drive?

Yes you are right it is external drive ===> http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-284
It is not fake, i have waranty card and bought from a good dealer. There might be 2 reasons one is that last time i was copying data and during copying i suddenly unplug the drive OR may be most of the time i keep it connected with LCD TV and i think drive remains ON and some electric surge may be caused it's partition damage :(
HaQue wrote:
you might try running the free Partition Find and Mount, search for a partition, and if/when found - copy all files to a new drive.
Imaging is really the best option if possible, and doing data recovery on the image. Just depends on your circumstances and either how much your skillset carries you, or how well you would be able to follow along with help from the forum without messing the drive up.

If it is really important, then a DR place might not be too costly, and more chance of recovery

[quote="HaQue"]
Bundle of Thanks for giving me idea of Partion find and Mount software. I will try it and share the results. BTW 15 years ago i was an expert in computer hardware field :)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 18:38 

hehe, things are changing, I find it hard to keep up, and probably fail to do so quite often! :-)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 22:34 

Dear HaQue,
I have tried your recommended partion software and firstly i tried by "Fast scan" but it did not find any partition then i did "Full Scan" option and sleep. Now at morning i see resulting 7 partitions found 2G@FAT16. I checked by mounting 2 partitions but these are empty. I used 2.31 version. Please further suggest me what to do.Thank

Attachments:
partion gurru.png
partion gurru.png [ 58.2 KiB | Viewed 15291 times ]

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 23:19 

I would image the whole disk (not partitions) and make sure the image is saved on another larger than 1TB drive of course. You can use PFAM to image. Then use data recovery software to recover files. R-Studio or GetDataBack.

The FAT16 partitions could be things like floppy images contained in files or other parts of internal files, and probably no use to you.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 23:46 

Sadly i have only one more 1TB which i am using in my PC. One thing i want's to know that why you recommends to make image and then scan the image? I meant what if i directly use the data recovery software and scan the drive. Does it damage the drive or take long time or what?

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 23:56 

I would start by getting an idea of the physical state of the drive. To this end I would examine its SMART report with a tool such as HD Sentinel. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

Assuming there are no significant physical problems, I would then examine sector 0 with a disc editor, eg DMDE freeware. That's where the partition table would be located. The fact that Windows is prompting you to format the drive rather than initialising it would suggest that Windows can read and understand the partition table but cannot find a valid boot sector.

I don't know if this is a possibility, but some LCD TVs will repartition and reformat your drive with their own file system.

BTW, it would help to know how the drive was originally formatted. FAT32? NTFS?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 10:33 

faisalsaleem wrote:
Sadly i have only one more 1TB which i am using in my PC. One thing i want's to know that why you recommends to make image and then scan the image? I meant what if i directly use the data recovery software and scan the drive. Does it damage the drive or take long time or what?

fzabkar is right, you should examine s.m.a.r.t for the disk status, if disk is healthy you can use data recovery software on it, BUT if there are issues (Bad sectors, FW Problem, Weak Heads etc) with disk, the only option is to clone it to another drive or image file.

BTY, this drive contain other personal data as well or just movie stuff ?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 16:12 

fzabkar wrote:
I would start by getting an idea of the physical state of the drive. To this end
I don't know if this is a possibility, but some LCD TVs will repartition and reformat your drive with their own file system.

BTW, it would help to know how the drive was originally formatted. FAT32? NTFS?

Thanks for your fruitful suggestions, i would try your recommended software's and method and will post the results. Actually it's like 10 months I'm using with that LCD TV without any issue. As i remember it was FAT32 @ single partion. One of my another friend also recommend to boot the PC with Ubuntu live CD and then connect the drive to see if partion show or not.

MindMergepk wrote:

fzabkar is right, you should examine s.m.a.r.t for the disk status, if disk is healthy you can use data recovery software on it, BUT if there are issues (Bad sectors, FW Problem, Weak Heads etc) with disk, the only option is to clone it to another drive or image file.

BTY, this drive contain other personal data as well or just movie stuff ?

If hardware issue then i would claim warranty if the warranty period not over yet. This drive contains approx 10GB document's and pics which are most important for me. The rest movies i can download again no issue :).

PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 17:40 

@fzabkar, i have tried both software's (dmde and and Hard Disk Sentinel) the Hard Disk Sentinel results are attached in rar. Please further suggest. Thanks

Attachments:
File comment: Hard Disk Sentinel
Report ST1000LM024_2015 05 18.rar [4.48 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times
File comment: physical sectors
physical  sectors.jpg
physical sectors.jpg [ 288.89 KiB | Viewed 14904 times ]
File comment: partition table
partition table  MBR.jpg
partition table MBR.jpg [ 143.31 KiB | Viewed 14904 times ]

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 4:25 

What do you see in sector 64?

What does DMDE's Partitions window find?

BTW, I notice a remnant of a GPT partition structure, albeit an empty one, in sector 1.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 3:34 

Dear all i recovered most of my data by using these softwares, thanks alot for the support.