Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

Samsung SSD

August 27th, 2015, 11:35

Hey guys / gals,

I have a MZ-MPC128D Samsung SSD that is requiring chip-off and I am having a bit of an issue.

Has anyone been able to read this chip correctly? Or know anything about the controller (XOR)?
Chip marking: Samsung K9PFGY8U7B-HCK0
Controller Marking: S4LJ204X01-Y04D
CHIP ID: ECD7947E64

According to: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... _Flash.pdf

There are 8 chip enables. But otherwise there doesn't seem to be much information that I can use.

I have VNR, PC3k, and FE. Unfortunately ace will not send out updated adapters and the only adapter I have for this chip is from VNR.

Any help / information is appreciated.

Re: Samsung SSD

August 27th, 2015, 17:41

What is the problem? Do you read the chip? Do you find ECC/BCH for it?

I do not have case with this controller yet which need chip-off recovery, so hard to say something about XOR, but I think it could be dynamic/adaptive. If you can share one of the dump I can check it.

August 28th, 2015, 9:03

I have read the chips, but I am troubled that the decoder says there are 8 chip enables and only 4 can be shown using VNR. Contacting support they just instructed to increase the plane size to fit the chips size.

Also data looks XOR. Bitmap shows solid horizontal lines, black and white (seemingly random) throughout the image. Is this incorrect reading?

I was kind of hoping someone had ran into this drive before.

August 28th, 2015, 9:27

Also, ECC/BCH is not supported for this drive. So I cannot correct bit errors.

August 28th, 2015, 11:59

Connect me via PM. I will check it by TV.

August 28th, 2015, 12:20

could you post a screenshot of the VNR bitmap?
if the lines go straight down, good. if they are going down, then some are offset... this could mean bad columns.

Samsung like using xor tricks, so this is possible like Arvika said.

for the CE issue, can you get a datasheet?

is the dump total size bigger than drive capacity a little?

each bank should be 4Gb with a page size of 9216. How many chips on the SSD, and are the chips 32GB ea?

some chips of this ID are DDR, though not sure about the BGA ones. Your chip has a "Y" in the position that would denote the tech, but the decoder doesn't say what that is, I am guessing Toggle Mode. This page http://www.usbdev.ru/databases/memory_type/ shows that some other chips with the Y in that position are DDR.

maybe if you can get a datasheet of any other nand of same package, and also 8ce + 4RB you can see how this works, and may give you some insight.

it is nearly 2am so sorry if this is a hodge-podgey type help!
Post a reply